May 16, 2024, 06:33:16 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Headlining tour sets?

Started by RickyKidd, May 16, 2007, 11:00:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyKidd

I'd love to make the three-hour drive to catch the nearest Ozma concert in B'ham, but does anybody know how long their set will be on the "headlining" tour as opposed to a typical concert? What, exactly, is the difference between the two anyway?

Pardon my dearth of musical knowledge; my only other Ozma experience was some years back.

amish

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my perception:

Headlining bands play for about an hour and a half
Opening bands play for 30-45 minutes

Obviously depends on the venue, city noise ordinance/curfew, etc.

Quote from: Joe on May 16, 2007, 11:19:18 am
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my perception:

Headlining bands play for about an hour and a half
Opening bands play for 30-45 minutes

Obviously depends on the venue, city noise ordinance/curfew, etc.

Sounds good to me.  Also depends on how many other opening bands there are.  But expect a headlining band to play at least an hour.  When Ozma was touring with the Rentals, they played a good 55 minute opening set...

So, it really depends, on the actual tour and venue.  But Joe sounds good-- expect at least 40 minutes from Ozma opening.  But I'd say you'd be guaranteed at least 75 minutes if they're headlining.

--It should really all be measured in songs though.  During the 55 minute set they played 12 songs.  But I've been to shows where 3 different bands were opening, and each of those only got 5-6 songs.

Okay, I'll stop rambling.  Best bet, go to a headline show.  You have a better chance of hearing the songs you want to hear. :)

Fantastic Max

Quote from: RickyKidd on May 16, 2007, 11:00:41 am
I'd love to make the three-hour drive to catch the nearest Ozma concert in B'ham, but does anybody know how long their set will be on the "headlining" tour as opposed to a typical concert? What, exactly, is the difference between the two anyway?

Pardon my dearth of musical knowledge; my only other Ozma experience was some years back.
Typical concert? To me..Ozma headlining is typical. I've seen them 6 times and only once were they not headlining, that was their "last" show with Rooney. Yeah Rooney, Rentals and Weezer, but for the most part, I'd say they play predominantly headlining tours. And oh man, do I wish I could go back to that Reunion show in LA. That was epic. Looonnngg-ass set.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

funwithsponges

I would expect about 14 songs or so.  Encore included.

Kyosho

May 17, 2007, 09:35:57 am #5 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:44:33 am by Kyosho
Man I cannot wait to see them play a headlining show! I'm so psyched. The only time I ever had a chance to see them in concert was on their last tour before they broke up, and they only played like 5 songs. Fricken Rooney was headlining. Blah.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

cesarsalad

the most i ever saw them play was 17 (maybe 18). i wish they did this more often....

Brady

Did they play Iceland last night?

patty

may 18, slims, san francisco
written on my bookcover samples....

spending time
eponione
fight the darkness (note: during this i couldnt help but imagine a physical battle between ozma and the darkness)
natalie portman
barriers
incarnation blues
korobeiniki
no one needs to know
restart
shooting stars
straight flush
beneath my tree
battlescars
rocks
i wonder
wake up
iceland (only half! but still wonderful)
domino effect
landing of yuri gagarin

if you were there, lemmie know if i missed anything

noonchild

Quote from: patty on May 18, 2007, 11:20:51 pm

iceland (only half! but still wonderful)

Sweet!  Did they just cut into domino effect half way through? 
The light cast dark shadows all around me

patty

kinda. it was more of a fumble then cut.

they cut me off mid-groove.

or they would have if the girl in front of me handnt grossed me out by grind dancing her boy toy.

heysarahsarah

Per Dan and Ken after the show, it was sorta spontaneous.   I don't think they remembered how to play the whole thing, and Ken said he didn't really know to play it.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Alex

:'( Man, I really wish I lived somewhere in California, or was able to travel out there for shows..  I've still only seen my favorite band once, and that was when they opened for hellogoodbye, and there were maybe five Ozma fans there, tops.  I would kill to see them headline, especially a nice long set like they've been doing lately.  I almost tried to get my bandmates to drive to the LA show, but decided it would be too hard to set up on short notice..  Boy, I wish I had made it out to that one, it sounds Samuel..

Ideally, my band would open for Ozma for an entire tour, and I could see them from the wings every night for a few months.  *sigh*  One day, one day.
We can blast way inside

Scott Peltz

I like how this has turned into a slim's thread. I think they just played iceland because they need to kill time while Daniel retuned the new guitar he got from his string breaking. Ryen didn't even play anything, and I think wanted to stop once Daniel was ready, but Daniel just came in and started playing too. It was a sing along, all very quiet. Jose appeared to have wanted to start rockin out at one point, but nobody else did so he got quiet again.

heysarahsarah

In my video, you hear Ryen ask "What do you wanna play?" and Jose says "Iceland" and laughs, and then starts playing it.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

patty

during that i kept whistpering iceland knowing they wouldnt play it. i was pretty sure the girls screaming apple trees in front of me would get their wish instead. i'm gonna take this as a lesson in screaming.

funwithsponges

I'm assuming Ryen didn't play cuz they don't tour with the fabled ...what is it, a wah or something?  I forget what they said the reason they can't play that song is.  So yeah, without that, I was assuming there was no point to playing lead, and just let Jose play rhythm.

CT-700

Quote from: funwithsponges on May 20, 2007, 09:45:48 am
I'm assuming Ryen didn't play cuz they don't tour with the fabled ...what is it, a wah or something?

I always used to think it was a wah, but now I am leaning towards synth more so. Didn't Star's Dad own a vintage analog synth? I think it was called a Pro 1. I could be completely wrong though.

Volt

Best bet, go to a headline show.
[/quote]

Heh, luckily for me, both concerts in my area are headlining!

FireAarro

Quote from: funwithsponges on May 20, 2007, 09:45:48 am
I'm assuming Ryen didn't play cuz they don't tour with the fabled ...what is it, a wah or something?

At any rate, the Fabled Star Wick could play that part with her keys.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."