News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

dan on whfr.org

Started by kitten, December 06, 2004, 09:04:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten

from dan's myspace:

FRI DEC 10: LIVE WEBCAST whfr.org

some of my friends run a small DIY radio station in uptown manhattan. it's called washington heights free radio and you can tune in at http://www.whfr.org. this coming friday there's a big on-air party from 8-12pm and i will be performing sometime in there, likely around 9-10. tune in if you can! if you want to come witness the show in person that's probly fine too, it's in uptown manhattan. write me and i'll give you the address. all best, daniel brummel.

OMGWTFBBQ

rats... i have a show that night, otherwise i'd tune in and record it.

which means.... the responsibility falls on someone else. is it you?

kitten

i have to close friday night so i can't.  maybe kristopher can if the band doesn't have a show or something.

Bob511

Is this only up on a certain schedule?  I'm presently getting a 401 error, but if I'm right StreamRipper should be able to record this directly, without resorting to nasty, lossy digital-to-analog-to-digital recording methods.

Not Jason

Quote from: Bob511 on December 06, 2004, 02:58:36 pm
Is this only up on a certain schedule?Ã,  I'm presently getting a 401 error, but if I'm right StreamRipper should be able to record this directly, without resorting to nasty, lossy digital-to-analog-to-digital recording methods.

well, the way i've been doing stuff for the past two years is just digitally recording my computer's output, which may or may not be exactly waht streamripper does i have no idea.  in any case, no analog is introduced into the process.  i'm gonna try to record it too, so hopefully between the two of us nothing will go terribly wrong.  no promises that i'll be able to do it yet, i'm not sure what my schedule is like this week.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

anthem for a new amanda

i think i might try to go see it. i just myspaced db asking if it's open and possible to attend.

Bob511

Quote from: Not Jason on December 06, 2004, 04:32:22 pmwell, the way i've been doing stuff for the past two years is just digitally recording my computer's output, which may or may not be exactly waht streamripper does i have no idea.Ã,  in any case, no analog is introduced into the process.Ã,  i'm gonna try to record it too, so hopefully between the two of us nothing will go terribly wrong.Ã,  no promises that i'll be able to do it yet, i'm not sure what my schedule is like this week.
Yeah, that's the lossy digtal-to-analog-to-digital way I was talking about; StreamRipper actually downloads the streaming MP3, so it's not lossy, but a direct copy of the audio data.

In cases such as these where the bitrate is probably sub-128kbps the quality difference between a DAC-ADC recording and a direct one is likely negligible, but I like to avoid it if I can, on principle more than anything else.

Still, is the stream currently playing for anyone?  I'm still getting a 401 error.

kitten

i'm getting a 401 too.  maybe i'll send dan a message and see if he knows.

kitten

okay, i asked dan this was his reply:

hey yeah actually i think they only run sundays and wednesdays... check their show programming on the website and you can tune in to their regular programming tomorrow to be sure that you're getting the feed. if not you can contact veronica at fartoocanadian@hotmail.com and troubleshoot the technical shit with her.

all best... hope this works on friday!
daniel

so there you have it.  i guess give it a try today.

Bob511

So it's 3:30pm PST/6:30pm EST, and finally the stream's working.  StreamRipper seems to record it without a hitch, though I'm not sure if the barely-audible nature of the stream is due to the music being played or the 56kbps bitrate (the former, I assume).

Bob511

Yeah, this is nice and all, but what I'd really like to hear is aimless, start-stop bass noodling.

Bob511

Woo, actual live Brummel.  Been too long.

angie

ahh sweet. is this the first song he's playing?
i thought i'd already missed him

Bob511

Yeah, "East Virginia" was the first one.

Anyone know the woman? ???

angie

December 10, 2004, 06:06:02 pm #14 Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 07:48:44 pm by angie
i'm really wondering that too
edit: nevermind that was mean

Bob511

Well, that answered that, I guess.

So there's more to come, or did I misunderstand?

angie

that's how i understood it
and the beatles in chinese?!?

RedStarBandit

i think its japaneese, but im not sure. samantha would know, but shes at work.

RedStarBandit

is everyone else getting the 401 error again?

i guess its over?

Bob511

December 10, 2004, 06:56:44 pm #19 Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 07:01:36 pm by Bob511
That was a sudden return to 401.

EDIT:  And now it seems to be up, but nothing's on.....

angie

very faintly i hear jingling...and guitar...very very faintly underneath the loud buzzy noise...so they're still playing...

Not Jason

as i feared i was on the busy side of things tonight... from the sounds of it i'm not exactly sure what to expect in terms of a recording, but if one exists in any form (listenable or not), i certainly would like to hear.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Bob511

Back in time for "Sao Paulo," thankfully.

angie

so...is it over? it's midnight EST and they're playing outkast now...

geez i miss hearing daniel brummel
and it's too bad people were talking through most of it

Bob511

December 10, 2004, 08:17:50 pm #24 Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 08:18:55 pm by Bob511
More like, too bad their server crash/issues halfway through it seem to have corrupted the first half of the show I was recording.  :'(

angie

aww booo
but did you get the second half recorded? cuz there are already recordings of the songs he played in the first half
if that's any consolation to you

they're playing commuter music now!
and...other stuff...

OMGWTFBBQ

Quote from: Bob511 on December 10, 2004, 08:17:50 pm
More like, too bad their server crash/issues halfway through it seem to have corrupted the first half of the show I was recording.  :'(

herein lies the advantage of jason and i's record the stereo mix in cooledit method, i suppose.

though thanks for trying to record, im anxious to hear it... i was hoping i could get back from my show in time, but no luck.

Bob511

Yeah, the file's fine from that long silence after it came back up, and so I've got the very end of that song he was playing when they must've realized the volume was down or something, then "Sao Paulo" and on to the end from there, about forty minutes or so.  And yeah, I know much of the earlier stuff was already recorded and available, I just hate it when things I'm trying to do don't turn out. :-x

Bob511

Quote from: OMGWTFBBQ on December 10, 2004, 08:39:51 pmherein lies the advantage of jason and i's record the stereo mix in cooledit method, i suppose.
Certainly, though I've never seen StreamRipper choke so badly on stream problems before.  Weird stuff.

angie

did you catch the db recordings they played later?