April 18, 2024, 01:20:17 am

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

What about ozma makes you like them?

Started by I Like Ozma, October 10, 2007, 09:48:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I Like Ozma

is it the fact that they are labeled as weezer rip offs? is it their beautiful melodies and harmonies? or is it just the fact that ryen slegr is a beautiful man?

to me its the fact that every song that they come out with it somehow just ends up blowing my mind and the beatles are the only band that does that.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

AM Radio

ryen slegr is a beautiful man. i think the immediate draw to a lot of their songs is that ryen is always playing on the offbeats. him and star are so often coming in with their lead lines on the offbeat, whereas daniel and jose are just chillin. he gets inside the music like that. in between chord changes and beats, its so infectiously catchy. he sings like that too. fuckin offbeats man its so awesome.

daniel is also a beautiful man. he may even be more beautiful than ryen when you think about what the word "beautiful" really means. they both have different strengths. daniels melodies are often more flowing and dreamy, like in light years will burn or natalie portman, and ryens are usually more catchy, like in spending time and shooting stars. i dont know whos lyrics i like better, ryens are more interesting but daniels are usually more genuine.

there is so much to each ozma song. i have no idea how they cram all that guitarwork and stuff into each song. such intricate songs.. i think theyre my favorite band.

Seb

Quote from: I LOVE Ozma on October 10, 2007, 09:48:07 pm
to me its the fact that every song that they come out with it somehow just ends up blowing my mind and the beatles are the only band that does that.

I think you need to look up the word "only" in a dictionary.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

Rome

damn seb you're not holding back in the GOD when it comes to language, eh?

Seb

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN.

Anyway, what else am I going to post about?
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

AM Radio

i am the only one who gave a nice well thought out answer.

criticize my english i dare you

The Other Mike

Quote from: AM Radio on October 13, 2007, 09:12:45 am
i am the only one who gave a nice well thought out answer.

criticize my english i dare you

Internet tough guy alert.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Oatmeal

October 13, 2007, 12:10:51 pm #7 Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 12:13:20 pm by oatmeal
Quote from: AM Radio on October 13, 2007, 09:12:45 am
Criticize my English I dare you.
My English is not great at all. Yet I just could not pass this up. It's too funny in that ironic humor sorta way.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

AM Radio

Brady

They have the perfect blend of pop and rock.

Rome

Oatmeal's signature is like a page and a half.

I Like Ozma

Oatmeal

Quote from: Rome on October 17, 2007, 06:11:45 am
Oatmeal's signature is like a page and a half.
Thanks for the recognition. I think my signature is stinking sweet.

Oatmeal

October 17, 2007, 09:45:58 pm #15 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:13:23 pm by oatmeal
Nice vocals and music sincerity. A great balance of rock and melody. Nice keyboard lines. There music just does not get old on me like most bands do.

canucks13

I Like Ozma

yeah the bass for immigration song amazes me.

brad

Power Lloyd

Playing along with their albums helped me become a better bass player.

Jamie

They seem to sing with a passion, and seem to care about the fans, even if they are playing infront of as little as 30 people. 

The thing I like most is what made me such a big Weezer fan (Yes I said Weezer in a Ozma post :() is that most of the songs seem to speak to you. The solos and the licks talk, and with the keyboard added in it makes the songs even more so sound like they are talking to you.

I enjoy playing Ozma songs on guitar, especially all the lead play that Ryan does.

I Like Ozma

first welcome to the boards. second most of us already make weezer reference in our ozma discussions. and third its ryen.

Jamie

Thanks for the welcome, and I know it's Ryen I just didn't think to look at what I wrote :-[

gregor

The passion I see in them when they play live.  I really just want to rock out and listen to music with Jose.

The lyrics are fucking clever, more so than I've ever heard.  Death Cab has some good ones, Modest Mouse, but Ozma takes the cake:

transitioning from "right coast, left coast" to "right coast, wrong coast" in continental drift.  "baggage comes along"

I know there's plenty of other good ones, but continental drift just happened to be playing.

i love you guys

VanSlegr Fan

great lyrics, and Slegr's ability to change the very fabric of time and space with his unparalleled soloing abilities. His guitar powers make him a god of rock, and a god to the ladies.
Ryen Slegr and Daniel Brummel could eat a can of Alphabet Soup and poopoo out better lyrics than Rivers Cuomo

I save my best for last and after that don't even ask me - Beck

theozman

Fighting on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win youre still retarded..

ohjonas

I'm sorry to bump this topic, but I have a bit to say as to why I like Ozma.

And unfortunately I'm going to start this with Weezer.  One of the big draws I had to Weezer was in lines like In the Garage where Rivers sang about superheroes and referenced things that I could relate to.  Ironically, I was into Ozma before Weezer (I got a kung fu dvd in 8th grade for the ataris and ended up preferring domino effect hah).  Anyways, songs like "Lorraine" or "Game Over" have their references to "Back to the Future"; put that with the Zelda references, the Mario and Luigi references, and the incredible nostalgia of the songs and I have a band that I'm hooked on.  Ozma also knows perfectly how to blend a melody with the lyrics so that they work together.  Look at Natalie Portman.  That quiet "maybe she'll be hearing this..." followed by the screaming "but probably she won't!" makes the line so much more powerful; she might hear this, but if she won't I might as well wail and yell.  I love that.  I love how songs like "Baseball" remind me of my childhood and how they capture this warm nostalgic feeling that no other band can give me.  I love the quirky and clever lyrics in songs like "Appletrees", but I also love the brilliant lyrics in songs like "Light Years Will Burn", which has lyrics so smart they should be in physics textbooks.  The music itself is so interesting.  The vocal parts trade, the harmonies are always incredible, their voices are so genuine, the basslines are really interesting and are never lost in the music, the guitar licks can melt steal, and the keyboards are just...well they're fantastic.

And unlike Weezer who went from In the Garage to Beverly Hills and seems like they forgot where they came from, Ozma never did forget.  Ozma took a sound that they really felt and they continued with it and evolved it far beyond anything any other alternative or "geek rock" band could ever hope to do.  Spending Time is a masterpiece that I can hear evolve as I listen to their back catalogue.  It's like each song was a stepping stone to that perfect finale of "Light Years Will Burn".

Seb

Wow, I was a bit of an arse in October 2007, wasn't I?

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm always a bit of an arse.

Martha Gail

That's Cobra on Cobra action.

gregor

the amount of Rock in their songs.  From riffs like "Shooting Stars" to the "Landing of Yuri Gargain", Ozma manages to create epic moments in their songs, where everything comes together and you get floored.

The synth leads are bad ass too.
i love you guys