April 29, 2024, 10:13:35 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

What is the better songwriting duo: Slegr-Brummel or Lennon-McCartney?

Started by brad, March 19, 2008, 01:19:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the better songwriting duo: Slegr-Brummel or Lennon-McCartney?

Slegr-Brummel
18 (46.2%)
Lennon-McCartney
21 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

pygmy twylyte

Quote from: Kyosho on March 20, 2008, 07:00:12 am
I had to vote Lennon/McCartney for Maxwell's Silver Hammer alone.

maxwells silver hammer isnt bad, but its one of my least favorite songs on that album.
ozma is one of my favorite bands.  but they only have two albums that i completely love.  they also have one that im...not quite sure about.  to be fair, even though the beatles are one of my favorite bands i think some people just like them so much because other people tell them to.  i dont think the top ten albums of all time should include five beatles albums, and i definitely dont think the first should be sgt peppers.  so while i dont think its fair just to say OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS WHO CREATED THIS POLL WFLKASdf, its pretty obvious who i voted for.

Quote from: pygmy twylyte on March 23, 2008, 02:23:26 pm
Quote from: Kyosho on March 20, 2008, 07:00:12 am
I had to vote Lennon/McCartney for Maxwell's Silver Hammer alone.

maxwells silver hammer isnt bad, but its one of my least favorite songs on that album.
ozma is one of my favorite bands.  but they only have two albums that i completely love.  they also have one that im...not quite sure about.  to be fair, even though the beatles are one of my favorite bands i think some people just like them so much because other people tell them to.  i dont think the top ten albums of all time should include five beatles albums, and i definitely dont think the first should be sgt peppers.  so while i dont think its fair just to say OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS WHO CREATED THIS POLL WFLKASdf, its pretty obvious who i voted for.

I agree with you.

(check this out:  http://www.ozmafans.com/index.php/topic,1507.0.html)

I Like Ozma

indeed that fact alone is solely (in my opinion) why the beatles are the best band ever, is that a song that someone thinks maybe is just horrible can RIGHTLY SO be someone elses favorite song from them.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

Quote from: I Like Ozma on March 24, 2008, 11:34:51 am
indeed that fact alone is solely (in my opinion) why the beatles are the best band ever, is that a song that someone thinks maybe is just horrible can RIGHTLY SO be someone elses favorite song from them.

but doesn't that go for any band?  (I mean, not like, a rubber band, but you know what I mean)  It's like The Beatles always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what?  Why do you say "rightfully so" as if it's more rightfully so than any other band?

Rome

I Like Ozma

Quote from: Samuel on March 24, 2008, 12:11:08 pm

but doesn't that go for any band?  (I mean, not like, a rubber band, but you know what I mean)  It's like The Beatles always get the benefit of the doubt no matter what?  Why do you say "rightfully so" as if it's more rightfully so than any other band?

because it is. and no it doesnt go for any other band.

Quote from: I Like Ozma on March 24, 2008, 01:42:30 pm
Quote from: Samuel on March 24, 2008, 12:11:08 pm

because it is. and no it doesnt go for any other band.

Yeah, don't you think that's an insanely ignorant thing to say?  I don't want to get into the whole Beatles debate again, and I certainly have nothing against your opinion personally.  However, what else, in existence, without explanation, could you say is as DEFINITE as your Beatles opinion???  It's like you're putting The Beatles on the same level as a belief in God or something.

I find the whole "because it is" mentality to be sickening.  It's like a rapist justifying his actions with "because I had to."  Seriously.  When do you hear people so certain of things, without offering explanations to back the things up, and without thinking an explanation is necessary?  It's not very common unless you're insane.  It sounds stupid and evil to me.  And we're talking about your opinion--which you clearly stated--about other people's opinions regarding favorite songs of A BAND.  Remember when your mom and dad would say "because I said so?"  How annoyed would you get at that?  People say "because it is" when they have nothing else to say.  They think it's an end-all, bottom line, argument winner.  But it's just an argument ender which marks every point made, up 'til that statement, completely invalid and pointless.  Basically, you just wasted everyone's time.

I believe in karma although I can't really explain it.  If someone told me karma wasn't real, what good would it do of me to say:  "yes it is, I know it is because it is."  Okay, great for me, and I'd probably believe that regardless, but what point does it make to say it?  If someone asked me "why do you believe that?" and I said "because it's true," that person really doesn't understand anymore than he did to begin with, right?  I think it's insulting to shoot down questions of people who are clearly interested in a certain idea or discussion.  "I'd rather not talk about it" is more polite and insightful than "because it is."

With you, I Like Ozma, you're simply talking about a song someone hates could be someone else's favorite song.  How is this any different from any other band?  My ex-girlfriend HATES listening to The Get Up Kids and The Casket Lottery (two of my favorite bands), however, I love them.  There's one personal experience right there.  Same with people who like heavy/death metal.  I don't like it, but it could, rightfully so, be someone's favorite kind of music?

Had you said "indeed the fact alone that they had more #1 hits than any band ever, makes them the best band ever" I couldn't have argued that.  The interpretation of "best" for you would then be "best by popular opinion and sales," and that seems valid enough.  But you can't define your interpretation of "best" the way you used it and justified it.  You basically isolated the basic concept of human opinion [liking/disliking], applied it to The Beatles discography, and then DENIED it applicable to any other band's discography.  Don't you think human beings deserve a bit more respect than that.  Is everyone really wrong, aside from you and other Beatles sympathizers?  Are you fucking kidding me?

I had no qualms with the Moses on Drugs discussion, because in the end, you're either right and are going to heaven and you can laugh at Rodney all the way there, or you're wrong, and both Rodney and you are dead and no one knows any better.  But we're talking about a fucking band here, and that's it.  "Because it is" does not grant you eternal salvation or simply let you live your life in happiness.  "Because it is" pisses off and frustrates people (like me) --and seriously, I really have nothing against you, it's just the whole discussion that practically makes me ill.  So, I'm sorry if these seems personal--had you been the first I'd ever heard this from I could have dismissed you as a fool and ignored it all.  Although, as you know, this isn't an uncommon occurrence.  So maybe I'm wrong about The Beatles not being the best since everyone and his brother seems to agree with you.  However, I won't back down for a second on the "because it is. and no it doesnt go for any other band" discussion.  I feel like that's only a hostile remark to piss people off...  Stuff like this makes me wish people would have something important DISPROVED for them so they can see what it's like to not always be right when they think they're right, and realize that it's not the end of the world to have made a mistake about something.  Then at least, people wouldn't be so sure of everything.  That much self-importance is dangerous as shit.

Джесси

ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

Quote from: Jesse on March 24, 2008, 11:15:59 pm
I personally prefer The Beach Boys.

lol.  me too!!!  That's always my side-point in the Beatles discussion.  --wait, did you know that?  am I getting owned?!?  I think I'm getting owned.

Джесси

Hah, I certainly am not owning you and am entirely serious. I mean, I didn't quite make it past that first page of the Beatles poll you created, so if you mentioned it somewhere in there, I didn't know.
ТолÃ'Å'ко гÃ'â,¬Ã'Ð´Ã'Æ'Ã'‰ÐµÐµ - облаÃ'Ã'‚Ã'Å' поÃ'Ã'‚а.

I Like Ozma

personally, the thing about the beach boys to me is that basically the whole band is centered around brian wilson and the other guys are (arguably) replacable.

the beatles would not be the beatles had it not be John, Paul, George, and MAYBE arguably Ringo.

CT-700

Oatmeal

I would say the Beatles albums are consistently better than the Beach Boys. I think only the Beach Boys latter songs are Worthy competition to the Beatles. Although their earlier stuff did have great harmony, the Beatles seem to keep an overall better substance in their songs.

Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Help keeps me on the side of the Beatles.
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Quote from: oatmeal on March 25, 2008, 02:24:31 pm
I would say the Beatles albums are consistently better than the Beach Boys. I think only the Beach Boys latter songs are Worthy competition to the Beatles. Although their earlier stuff did have great harmony, the Beatles seem to keep an overall better substance in their songs.

I don't doubt more substance in the Beatles albums.  But I guess I prefer less substance, as I do certainly prefer the Beach Boys.

And Jesse, that's definitely one of my constant Beatles vs Music arguments, so I'm just glad I'm not alone in it.

I Like Ozma, you make a fine new point and you're right about Brian Wilson certainly... but you're ignoring my other huge post that I wrote to you.

I Like Ozma

Sorry but I did not know that long post was directed toward me so I did not read it. Now that I have I do not know how to reply because it was just so moving. I will try though. My point mainly is this, the beatles music is unexplainable to me, they are the only band that it is impossible toreally have a favorite song or album just for the simple fact that their worst song is as good as their best and vice versa. It is not something you can explain but if you are a believer then you can probably understand. Ozma is the only other band that I can slighty compare that to.

Rome

Quote from: I Like Ozma on March 25, 2008, 08:01:21 pm
My point mainly is this, the beatles music is unexplainable to me, they are the only band that it is impossible toreally have a favorite song or album just for the simple fact that their worst song is as good as their best and vice versa. It is not something you can explain but if you are a believer then you can probably understand. Nobody has ever felt this way about any other band ever in the history of everything except with beatles believers. Therefore, I know my opinion is canon fact.

I guess I overestimated your intelligence. See, at first I thought you were just getting samuel all riled up.

Rome

After that stunt you pulled in the pete thread? You got a lot of nerve!

Quote from: Rome on March 25, 2008, 10:49:59 pm
After that stunt you pulled in the pete thread? You got a lot of nerve!

(I was just trying to look cool for Pete.  I don't mind being honest to you here, Roman, since all the assholes never come on-topic.  I do like you.  Just don't spread it outside of GOD.)

Oatmeal

Quote from: Samuel on March 25, 2008, 04:35:13 pm
Quote from: oatmeal on March 25, 2008, 02:24:31 pm

I don't doubt more substance in the Beatles albums.  But I guess I prefer less substance, as I do certainly prefer the Beach Boys.

And Jesse, that's definitely one of my constant Beatles vs Music arguments, so I'm just glad I'm not alone in it.

I Like Ozma, you make a fine new point and you're right about Brian Wilson certainly... but you're ignoring my other huge post that I wrote to you.

Yet I would say that I love the Beach Boys not matter what my associates say.

When I think about it it's not fair to compare the two,
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

pygmy twylyte

i skimmed through some of that beatles thread...seemed like most of it contained what id expect, and some stuff in it would annoy me.

the beatles do deserve some of their status because of what they did, but they dont deserve just to be THE BEST EVER.  its funny that the little girl thought they were just the best band ever because her mom told her.  that seems like the reason that a lot of people call them the best ever.  theyre in my top 5, possibly top 3, but i still think rubber soul is just ehhh, i skip past songs on revolver and sgt peppers, and let it be sucks except for like 4 songs.

not only do i think some people like them just because they told theyre the best, but i think some people say theyre the best no matter what because they were so revolutionary only because theyre told the beatles were so revolutionary.  its not like those 4 guys were the only ever to break ground.

the beatles belong in best ever discussion because they made good albums and were important, but their importance doesnt need to be overblown and they dont deserve a free pass.  also, i said this earlier, but lists of the top 10 albums of all time dont need to have 5 beatles albums.  maybe 1 or 2, but the first one shouldnt be sgt peppers, where again theres a case of "but it was so revolutionary!"  i guess im going on too long, but i wanted to get that in before i rounded this up.  dont be afraid to criticize the beatles, dont say things about them because youre told to.  admit when their songs arent good.  but like them for their awesome music.

Quote from: pygmy twylyte on March 28, 2008, 11:39:57 am
i skimmed through some of that beatles thread...seemed like most of it contained what id expect, and some stuff in it would annoy me.

the beatles do deserve some of their status because of what they did, but they dont deserve just to be THE BEST EVER.  its funny that the little girl thought they were just the best band ever because her mom told her.  that seems like the reason that a lot of people call them the best ever.  theyre in my top 5, possibly top 3, but i still think rubber soul is just ehhh, i skip past songs on revolver and sgt peppers, and let it be sucks except for like 4 songs.

not only do i think some people like them just because they told theyre the best, but i think some people say theyre the best no matter what because they were so revolutionary only because theyre told the beatles were so revolutionary.  its not like those 4 guys were the only ever to break ground.

the beatles belong in best ever discussion because they made good albums and were important, but their importance doesnt need to be overblown and they dont deserve a free pass.  also, i said this earlier, but lists of the top 10 albums of all time dont need to have 5 beatles albums.  maybe 1 or 2, but the first one shouldnt be sgt peppers, where again theres a case of "but it was so revolutionary!"  i guess im going on too long, but i wanted to get that in before i rounded this up.  dont be afraid to criticize the beatles, dont say things about them because youre told to.  admit when their songs arent good.  but like them for their awesome music.

I like you!  You seem super sensible and smart just like me and two other people on this forum.  Sadly, there are 924 others who are SUPER IGNORANT!  Interestingly, as much as I deserve to be crowned as king of this place and therefore be a super-egotistical-jerk, I'm actually the 2nd nicest person on the forums.  #1 nicest is a guy named Jordon Mollot.  Add him on Facebook, you won't regret it.

Anyway, I've basically fucked up my "first impression," so I've nothing else of importance to say.   Have a nice day!

ozmadic

Are you asking me will my love grow?
I don't know...IO don't know...

Jamie

I Like Ozma