April 30, 2024, 09:22:42 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

We loved to listen, oh, to our Rock and Roll Part III

Started by angstpristine, February 12, 2007, 04:05:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

angstpristine

I literally just dug this record out and stuck it on after not listening to it for ages. I'm writing a 1,000 word feature to go in the Parliamentary Yearbook (a large, leatherbound tome designed to massage the egos of politicians in which they find advertorials written to justify their new laws, be they useful or ridiculous) and put it on for some background listening.

It's proved inspirational and sounds just as good as when I heard it for the first time all those years ago. It then reminded me that someone said in a thread not so long ago that most of the regulars on the board have 'grown out' of Ozma, and simply come here out of habit.

Has anyone else dug out their old Ozma CDs recently and found the same, or am I just on some massive nostalgia bender?

Cheese

I've been listening to Ozma since early '03 and I've never really stopped.  I might go a very short time, but Ozma hasn't left my life in about 4 years.  Maybe if I made myself stop listening to Ozma for a few months and then go back into it, but I just can't bring myself to do that.  Maybe one day.

angstpristine

And before you start, I made this post fully aware of the fact that I sound like a complete and utter dork.

This could just be the start of some mental episode kicking in and I'm currently in the process of 'having a moment'. All down hill from here, chaps.

parker

I just got R&RPIII on vinyl and listened to it.  First time in like a year and a half.

angstpristine

Listening to things on vinyl is a completely different experience.

How was it?

Cheese

Quote from: angstpristine on February 12, 2007, 04:18:38 pm
And before you start, I made this post fully aware of the fact that I sound like a complete and utter dork.

This could just be the start of some mental episode kicking in and I'm currently in the process of 'having a moment'. All down hill from here, chaps.

Oh understand EXACTLY where you coming from, so no explantion needed this way at least.

P.S. - I am ready for a new album.

I like ozma

Not Jason

Quote from: angstpristine on February 12, 2007, 06:21:11 pm

How was it?

probably roughly the same, with a little bit more crackling and the absence of "Baseball".
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Chester Copperpot

Quote from: angstpristine on February 12, 2007, 04:05:28 pm

Has anyone else dug out their old Ozma CDs recently and found the same, or am I just on some massive nostalgia bender?

I just did because of this thread and it still sounds every bit as great to me.  Only long ago did a friend lose my R&RPT3, so it's VBR mp3's for me.

Of course at this moment I probably belong more in the not sober thread or not NOT high thread.

Sounds beautiful to me and all the memories are coming back.  There's no doubting it's fantastic music.

Sandguy

WhoYouCallinWeez

i know im a newbie here, but ive listened to ozma on a weekly , or at least monthly, basis since 2000 when a freind sent me some of the Inaudible demos. i guess nostalgia wont kick in till i actually stop listening to them for a minute. hehe

parker

Quote from: angstpristine on February 12, 2007, 06:21:11 pm

How was it?

It's good.  I prefer the sound of older vinyls though.

Not Jason

yeah, the difference in sound quality is more pronounced on old releases, before or during the era when CD technology was new and it was an otherwise analog world.  At this point, the difference between vinyl and CD quality is skewed in favor of CDs, in my opinion.  The only contrary arguments involve somewhat abstract notions of "warmth" which is probably nothing you couldn't achieve with the right EQ.  Not to be cynical or anything.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Chester Copperpot

Quote from: Not Jason on February 12, 2007, 10:26:02 pm
... The only contrary arguments involve somewhat abstract notions of "warmth" which is probably nothing you couldn't achieve with the right EQ.  Not to be cynical or anything.

Yeah, well too late you jerk.  >:(   Expect to receive a letter from my record club.

I like ozma

haha, funny. I think i can safely say that i listen to at least one ozma song a day. so when i do listen to the albums, they are not nostalgia nor anything that really brings  back memories, because they keep being updated daily.

except for the song "baseball" because that song makes me think of my 11th grade year, i had my first mp3 player that only held about 30 songs and i would always put that and "surf the intensity" on over and over.

CT-700

I have been into Ozma since late '05 and didn't buy any records till I bought R&RP3 last march, but I feel nostalgia when I listen to R&RP3 as a whole. I think its because the songs just have that effect on you when they are played in the full order in one sitting. I usually feel pretty sappy when the Samuel audio experience is over. The songs remind me of happier times, and then when its over I feel depressed.

angstpristine

Quote from: Sandguy on February 12, 2007, 09:15:06 pm
Quote from: I like ozma on February 12, 2007, 07:07:30 pm
not to be a weenie, but doesnt this belong in off

meni is a wanker. that's why.

I had steak pie at the football today. It was awesome.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: CT-700 on February 13, 2007, 09:21:49 am
I have been into Ozma since late '05 and didn't buy any records till I bought R&RP3 last march, but I feel nostalgia when I listen to R&RP3 as a whole. I think its because the songs just have that effect on you when they are played in the full order in one sitting. I usually feel pretty sappy when the Samuel audio experience is over. The songs remind me of happier times, and then when its over I feel depressed.
It gets cloudy in my head when trying to remember dates like band breaking up, Yes Dear era, and getting back together...But wasn't 05' after they broke up? You got into them during Yes Dear? That must'a sucked, until you heard the most recent news.

04 was when they broke up right? And then 05 was Yes Dear pretty much? Somebody help me, ha.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

jvstin

Quote from: Fantastic Max on February 21, 2007, 02:16:48 pm
It gets cloudy in my head when trying to remember dates like band breaking up, Yes Dear era, and getting back together...But wasn't 05' after they broke up? You got into them during Yes Dear? That must'a sucked, until you heard the most recent news.

04 was when they broke up right? And then 05 was Yes Dear pretty much? Somebody help me, ha.
yes. i think.

man, now you're making me confused.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

tom

they broke up in '04 after the rooney tour
yes dear was '05 and into '06.
ozma was officially back together in '06.

CT-700

Quote from: Fantastic Max on February 21, 2007, 02:16:48 pm

Yeah maybe I should of been more clear. Basically here is my history with Ozma:
-July '05 I heard of Ozma via some Weezer boards and then again on Rivers' iTunes playlist. I checked out their myspace, and saw they were at the moment defunct.
-December '05 I started to casually listen to them via myspace. I heard about the Irregardless show. Learned about Yes Dear, but really didn't listen to any of their songs.
-January '06 I read via bulletin they are back together, I was happy for them, but I was still just a casual myspace fan.
-March '06 during the excitement of the reunion show I buy R&RP3. I become totally obsessed.
-April '06 I buy DDD and STOBL, and start visiting the OFF to read.
-June '06 I join the OFF.

I like ozma

wow its weird to think that you are that much of an ozma n00b, espescially with your wealth of knowledge.

CT-700

Yeah I got really obsessed. Usually when I like a band I tend to spend a little too much time learning about them.

I like ozma

Rome

Seb

Funnily enough, I dug out the album tonight and listened to it for the first time in ages. I'd actually been listening to the excellent Digivent session at work recently, and that made me want to listen to RRP3. It definitely sounded great after so long without it.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

weezer420

I first fell in love with this band after seeing them at the 2002 Warped Tour. I recently found their CDs and been listening to them for a while. Love Battlescars reminds me of high school.