May 01, 2024, 04:28:49 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

Ozma in the Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty Souf....(ATL)

Started by skratchaholik, August 08, 2006, 08:36:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skratchaholik

in no patricular order...

natalie portman
spending time
gameover
eponine
domino
kid icarus
itshubyfnlkjdf;lj shibuya
tetris
wake up
rocks
battlescars

i think that was about the whole thing...

okay...the whole deal about Ken playing slow...I thought about it after the show and it isn't the case.
yes, a lot of the songs are slow.  but the ones that are slow for the most part, aren't even started by Ken.  THe two songs I noticed being super slow were Shibuya (started by Daniel) and Battlescars (started by Star).  Rocks was pretty much album speed.  Domino was album speed too.

The gang looked like they were enjoying themselves.  Daniel was plugging a lot of improv speech around musical breakdowns, and I haven't really heard him do that before.  Back in the day, you could tell there was a short fuse buring sometimes while they were playing, and someone was going to explode.  But now, they are pretty calm, cool, and collected.

There weren't any real "stand out" moments of the show, but it was definitely one of the better performances I have seen them do.  Ken is a great drummer.  Once they totally gel with him, they will be awesome live. 

ps.  The middle of the rentals set was BORING, but the beginning and end of the set was rad. 

yoshigaki

Quote from: skratchaholik on August 08, 2006, 08:36:08 pmps.  The middle of the rentals set was BORING, but the beginning and end of the set was rad. 

I thought this was because I was stuck in the balcony a billion miles from the band, but I dunno.

It might've also been that I (and perhaps you) are only familiar with the "big hits" of the Rentals, which were played at the beginning and end of their set.

pooberry

Ozma show kicked the asses.  Rentals, too.

Details of my exciting experiences and video of the show coming soon....

skratchaholik

Quote from: yoshigaki on August 08, 2006, 08:55:16 pm
Quote from: skratchaholik on August 08, 2006, 08:36:08 pmps.Ã,  The middle of the rentals set was BORING, but the beginning and end of the set was rad.Ã, 

It might've also been that I (and perhaps you) are only familiar with the "big hits" of the Rentals, which were played at the beginning and end of their set.

I think it was just the fact they they put tons of slow songs together, instead of throwing in a fun one here and there.  Pretty much the whole crowd was about to take a nap.  It was like 12:30am.  I DID, however, think it was really funny that right before they got it rockin' again, they played "Try to Stay Awake". 

Not Jason

about the tempo thing, yes, you are right.  I had attributed that to Ken at first when people were talking about it, but like you mentioned, the songs that sounded slow to me were also battlescars and shibuya, and ken didn't count off on either of those.

I personally wasn't bored by the rentals set, but to each their own.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

pooberry

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=pooberry

Go there.

I'm working on getting the Rentals' songs uploaded right now, but these are all of Ozma'a songs (except 2, I think).Ã,  A couple were just too big to upload to YouTube, but I recorded them all.Ã,  From the very front.Ã,  I think they turned out pretty damn good, myself.Ã,  The Rentals videos are especially Samuel because Matt Sharp kept climbing out on top of me, but they'll be uploaded later tonight.

jvstin

Quote from: pooberry on August 09, 2006, 07:40:56 pm

Go there.

I'm working on getting the Rentals' songs uploaded right now, but these are all of Ozma'a songs (except 2, I think).Ã,  A couple were just too big to upload to YouTube, but I recorded them all.Ã,  From the very front.Ã,  I think they turned out pretty damn good, myself.Ã,  The Rentals videos are especially Samuel because Matt Sharp kept climbing out on top of me, but they'll be uploaded later tonight.
wow, thanks. these are looking and sounding great.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

Samuel <3 OZMA

Quote from: pooberry on August 09, 2006, 07:40:56 pm

Go there.

very awesome thanks!  What kinda camera did you use???  The audio picked up very well for being right up front.

Also, I admire your dedication.  I always film parts of some songs and then just get too tired to do the rest.

(I've been awaiting your posts since I saw "Latest Member: pooberry" 2 days ago)

pooberry

Thanks.  All the concert videos are up now... well, the ones that are small enough anyway.  Shibuya and Battlescars were over 100mb, as were a handful of the Rental's songs.  The camera is a Sony CyberShot P200 still camera with an extra mpeg feature.  The real trick to getting the whole thing is the 4gig memory stick, video files are big unless I want them to look like shit, which I don't.  Turns out the mpeg video feature is quite handy.  You can't edit the videos it produces, so it's not a replacement for a camcorder by any means, but I am always surprised by the sound quality when things are so loud.  The only thing it can't handle is extremely overpowering bass, which this show thankfully didn't have.

And thanks for recognizing the dedication.  I video every show I go to (that I can).  I get there way way early in the day and snag the best spot and then sacrifice my 100% enjoyment down to a 65-70% so that I can focus on getting the video right.  But it's always worth it afterward.  I may not have got to scream "Wake Up" at the top of my lungs, but now I can watch it as much as I want.  Good trade.

This particular show, I was outside all day and had a good 5-10 minute chat with Daniel when they showed up.  Stuff like "How's that Van running?"  The guy next to me wanted to ask him about Rivers Cuomo and Matt Sharp, but I found that to be rude, so I kept the talk about Ozma.

Wooooooo. 

skratchaholik

friggen you tube.  it tells me i need to download the newest macromedia but i have done that and the thing still won't play.

pooberry

Samuel <3 OZMA

Quote from: pooberry on August 10, 2006, 06:36:05 am
Thanks.Ã,  All the concert videos are up now... well, the ones that are small enough anyway.Ã,  Shibuya and Battlescars were over 100mb, as were a handful of the Rental's songs.Ã,  The camera is a Sony CyberShot P200 still camera with an extra mpeg feature.Ã,  The real trick to getting the whole thing is the 4gig memory stick, video files are big unless I want them to look like shit, which I don't.Ã,  Turns out the mpeg video feature is quite handy.Ã,  You can't edit the videos it produces, so it's not a replacement for a camcorder by any means, but I am always surprised by the sound quality when things are so loud.Ã,  The only thing it can't handle is extremely overpowering bass, which this show thankfully didn't have.

And thanks for recognizing the dedication.Ã,  I video every show I go to (that I can).Ã,  I get there way way early in the day and snag the best spot and then sacrifice my 100% enjoyment down to a 65-70% so that I can focus on getting the video right.Ã,  But it's always worth it afterward.Ã,  I may not have got to scream "Wake Up" at the top of my lungs, but now I can watch it as much as I want.Ã,  Good trade.

This particular show, I was outside all day and had a good 5-10 minute chat with Daniel when they showed up.Ã,  Stuff like "How's that Van running?"Ã,  The guy next to me wanted to ask him about Rivers Cuomo and Matt Sharp, but I found that to be rude, so I kept the talk about Ozma.

Wooooooo.Ã, 

Awesome.  I have a Canon G5 which was a pretty "top" model when I bought it 3 years ago.  It picks up audio and video really well, HOWEVER, it only takes 3 minute videos at a time--no matter what.  So that's been my one gripe. 
Also, it uses CompactFlash.  I love the media, however, when I bought it 2 years ago, the 1x 1gig card cost me $120 AFTER rebate.  Still a great card, and camera, and I definitely got my money's worth.  It's just crazy how much cheaper and better things have gotten in such little time.

Anyway, enough about me.  That's awesome you go wait in line for the shows to get up front.  I've never really done that but always wanted to.  I hate waiting around though.  Anyway, we all do appreciate the dedication and it's awesome to have these videos up.     Thanks for sharing them.

k24

i thought this was the best ozma show i went to. i had a great time...it was a great day because i had finished an important final that morning, i was meeting some friends from Tennessee there, Mackenzie was going to be there, it was just a really great "adventure" for me. The band was polite and courteous as ever, and they were really tight as a band. I was happy with what i saw, and i'm happy to still be an ozma fan.

i wasn't really into the rentals, which is odd because i love their albums........

Oh, I thought the stand out moment of ozma's set was them playing "california". that was really really cool in my opinion. that made me really happy.