May 16, 2024, 07:23:19 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Hello Goodbye

Started by tom, August 14, 2006, 12:26:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tom

So, I'm listening to this album I downloaded off of oink.
By a band called Hellogoodbye.
They have a song called  "I saw it on your keyboard"
If you have a chance, try and find the song, and D/L it.
Is this song about Star/Ozma?
It sure sounds like it Por Exampla:
There exists a melody/That just might make you change your mind
I saw it on your keyboad/you saw it in my nights/i knew at least i might have a chance/to catch a shooting star

amish

Seems like this is an Ozma Discussion thread to me....

and yes, the song is about Ozma/Star. From what I understand, the "There exists a melody that just might make you change your mind" is not only an Ozma lyric, but also apparently on a sticker on Star's keyboard.

Lyric correction: I saw it on your keyboard / you saw it in my eyes
not listening to the song, but it makes a heck of a lot more sense

Sandguy

you're finally just getting to this, tom? well, at least you're finally hearing it now. took you a good four years... isn't it a rad song though?

lonely_hearts

is hellogoodbye any good? what do ozma fans think?
i don't want to waste my money just to see ozma as an opening band if the headliner sucks.

tom

well...thanks for the clairification guys.
hellogoodbye is alright, electronic pop/rock/emocore/indie/folk/dance/european jig/alt-country/jamaican fruit stand.
its some alright shit.

ps - where is ozma opening for hgb?

lonely_hearts

savewhatyouare

man these guys blew up didnt they?

There was also a radio show with hgb on it, and they talked about the song, ozma and star (in particular). In summary, they pretty much said 'listen to ozma,' and 'star is hot.'

tom

oh lord...ozma opening for two drive thru bands? (hgb and dave meillelo (sp))
don't do it guys!!
lol...that would be funny if they somehow signed to DTR.
ps - i thought ozma were taking time off from touring?

Jeff42

http://www.hellogoodbye.net/tour/

Why can't Ozma be going to Cleveland with them? :(

Not Jason

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on August 14, 2006, 11:44:07 am
don't do it guys!!

I'd be horrified.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

tom

Quote from: Not Jason on August 14, 2006, 04:10:32 pm
Quote from: Tom Is Dead on August 14, 2006, 11:44:07 am
don't do it guys!!

I'd be horrified.
Yeah...by funny...I meant: FUCk ozma for signing to drive thru.

savewhatyouare

i hate the fact that ozma is opening.

Samuel <3 OZMA

August 14, 2006, 09:01:09 pm #12 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:34:13 pm by Samuel <3 OZMA
I don't think Ozma would ever sign to Drive Thru unless the deal with exceptionally sweet in Ozma's favor.

And, also, I think "Hello Goodbye" is just one dude.Ã,  I mean, he may have a backup band or something for live shows, but I would almost go as far as to doubt that too.  It definitely started as one dude.

edit:  4 dudes are listed on their pure volume.  maybe it's collaborative now?

Nordel

I just checked out Hello Goodbye and it was just about the most atrocious thing I have ever heard. It was like emo meets boy bands. Just about the worste fucking combo I can think of. I mean, I don't know what I hate more. N'Sync or Fall Out Boy. And what's with the pitch effect on his voice? Does he use that on every single fucking song or what? christ. I'm appalled and offended.

Ok. That's my rant. Sorry.

tom

August 15, 2006, 04:14:27 am #14 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:17:39 am by Tom Is Dead
Quote from: sandbaby on August 14, 2006, 10:28:22 pm
I just checked out Hello Goodbye and it was just about the most atrocious thing I have ever heard. It was like emo meets boy bands. Just about the worste fucking combo I can think of. I mean, I don't know what I hate more. N'Sync or Fall Out Boy. And what's with the pitch effect on his voice? Does he use that on every single fucking song or what? christ. I'm appalled and offended.

Ok. That's my rant. Sorry.
wow. well, I'm not a big fan, but I can defend them in one sense - they're trying something different. dudes got a pretty good voice even if he does use the "techno voice" effect on some songs.
I don't hear the emo comparison though. Boy band, I can hear a slight similarity. I mean, this is almost straight pop/electronica/dance. But they have a song on their new record that features mainly a ukelele or banjo, not sure what it is.
This is one band I couldn't even begin to put into one category of music. Check out "Oh, It Is Love", you'll see what I mean.

Calll me gay, but, I love Justin Timberlake, he may just be a voice, but he picks great producers to work with, he was the only true talent to come out of the boy band era.

edit - if anything, you could say he sounds like the guy from maroon 5.

Nordel

August 15, 2006, 07:45:04 am #15 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:00:01 am by sandbaby
Figures A and B sounds pretty damn emo to me.
His melodies and chord progressions sound like typical emo/pop-punk progressions. Generic, and lame. Not exciting. The WAY he sings it, sounds like a mixture of emo and like I said earlier, justin timberlake or something like that. At the risk of offending any homosexuals on this board, he sings like one homosexual. The pitch effects don't really make it sound any less gay in my opinion. I don't know if the singer thought the pitch effects would somehow reduce the risk of gayness, I think they may have actually made it worse.

The only thing good I have to say about it is the drums and some of the sequencing. The electronic drums sound good, but It wouldn't surprise me at all if somebody else programmed them.

TearYouApart

Samuel <3 OZMA

Quote from: TearYouApart on August 16, 2006, 12:58:12 pm
Quote from: Jeff42 on August 14, 2006, 01:50:45 pm
http://www.hellogoodbye.net/tour/

well i don't get ozmaÃ,  :( ... but i do get reggie!!! fuck yes.

OMGZ?!?!  Reggie w/ Hello Goodbye?  That seems even more mismatched than Ozma.

beni

i really like "shimmy shimmy quater turn". the new albums sucks.

Fantastic Max

This thread just turned into that of an "about Hello Goodbye" one.   :-\
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

k24

someone from Hellogoodbye posted on here a few years ago.

Sandguy

forrest, the lead singer of HG frequents the board. you could tell him how much you hate the music he writes to his face. if liking hellogoodbye makes me gay, sign me up.

theredalbum

i used to love HGB in highschool after i found about them thru their ozma-isms. their avocado CD... i thought that was a good effort. not really suited to my current tastes but definitely brought back some fond memories. i've heard one of their songs twice on pimp my ride so i'd say they've made it

I like ozma

what other ozmaisms are there?

Rome

i don't care much for hellogoodbye. I don't like the style, or the lyrics. He does have a good voice, though, techno-effects aside.

brad

Quote from: I like ozma. on August 28, 2006, 03:28:36 pm

they have a song with "chances last a finite time, in the warm july nighttime"

i think its a fucking shame ozma is opening for a band that rips them off and does it atrociously.

jvstin

Quote from: brad on September 02, 2006, 05:25:02 am

i think its a fucking shame ozma is opening for a band that rips them off and does it atrociously.
"Ooo tonight the stars are oh so bright.
Ive gotta get outdoors while the weathers still here
Ive gotta take in the starlight before it disappears
A chance lasts a finite time in the warm july night time
So take in all you can"

man... that is pretty sad.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

tis not mike other

September 07, 2006, 08:14:37 am #27 Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 08:19:51 am by =Oatmeal=
Quote from: Sandguy on August 18, 2006, 05:14:34 pm
forrest, the lead singer of HG frequents the board. you could tell him how much you hate the music he writes to his face. if liking hellogoodbye makes me gay, sign me up.
What little dignity.

tis not mike other

Quote from: ^_^ on September 02, 2006, 02:03:58 pm
Quote from: brad on September 02, 2006, 05:25:02 am

"Ooo tonight the stars are oh so bright.
Ive gotta get outdoors while the weathers still here
Ive gotta take in the starlight before it disappears
A chance lasts a finite time in the warm july night time
So take in all you can"

man... that is pretty sad.

Same song:

"Whether or not our season will soon be done. I think I've got a reason to enjoy the sun. I hear the forcast ain't as bad as it seems. It sould be clearing up soon if only in dreams......"

." I can't avoid her. She's in the air. May as well polaroid her with the way I stare."

" I can feel the summer sending signs of fall"(maybee taken form the iadea of "baseball"?)

Ozma and weezer?

tom

you are really nitpicking there oatmeal.