April 17, 2024, 06:22:07 pm

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

PASADENA - LYRIC Discussion

Started by 8600, May 06, 2007, 09:42:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

May 06, 2007, 09:42:46 am Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:44:01 am by Samuel
Hello dudes!

I find myself very impressed by the LYRICS of OZMA's new album.

I seem to always enjoy OZMA's lyrics.  As much as they've matured changed musical styles, the words of their songs always have that OZMA feel to them.  I love it!  I love Incarnation Blues (the whole song too) and their lyrics are always so interesting and not the same over and over again --even though they are still VERY OZMA.

If you haven't picked up the album at any of their shows yet, they posted their lyrics on myspace, HERE.

There's a lot of nostalgic OZMA stuff packed into them.  The only song I don't find especially impressive lyrically is "Fight The Darkness," it just seems a little repetitive to me.

Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning.  Any other thoughts?

amish

I've re-posted the lyrics under Ozma Information, where the lyrics to all of the other albums can be found.

Quote from: Joe on May 06, 2007, 11:00:50 am
I've re-posted the lyrics under Ozma Information, where the lyrics to all of the other albums can be found.

OOH, cool thanks!  I hate going to MySpace unless I have to. 

amish

Quote from: Samuel on May 06, 2007, 11:46:31 am
Quote from: Joe on May 06, 2007, 11:00:50 am

OOH, cool thanks!  I hate going to MySpace unless I have to. 
Precisely why I did it :)

SteveLikesOzma

My favorite bits:

"I wonder what today will bring, I wonder what the stars will have in store for us..."

"I breathe your name and suddenly I feel happy again"

Potentially Tim

So far I think my favorite lyrics are:

Clock tower, Biff, 88
Living in a time when it was oh, so fun!
to game and game and game
videogames, apples, baseballs, etc.

...from the song "Russian Reference."

Quote from: Bullies to go on May 12, 2007, 04:57:38 pm
So far I think my favorite lyrics are:

Clock tower, Biff, 88
Living in a time when it was oh, so fun!
to game and game and game
videogames, apples, baseballs, etc.

...from the song "Russian Reference."

Is this some kind of sick joke?

And furthermore, T.Landry quotes BTTF more than anyone else I know, so what the fuck was that all about?

The Argyle Rebellion

If you ask me, the most telling line in the album is in "Barriers":

"Bury the domino; a symbol of your past obsession was only a worthless invention."

I know I said this in another thread, but does anyone see a dig at "Domino Effect"... it makes perfect sense.  It was a Yes, Dear song, so it could be about leaving Ozma behind.  It's just really odd that it fits in with the whole fact that Pasadena is amazingly different to Ozma's older stuff.  More mature.

I will agree that Pasadena holds some of the best lyrics Ozma has written, and for the record, Fight The Darkness isn't that bad... it's addicting once you get into it the least bit.

I Like Ozma

i think pasadena holds ozmas best line ever "I breath your name, and suddenly I feel happy again"
i dont know why but to me it just sums up everything about love.
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

amish

Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 14, 2007, 07:54:42 pm
i think pasadena holds ozmas best line ever "I breath your name, and suddenly I feel happy again"
With Peewee Herman as your avatar, that statement really, really bothers me.

Quote from: Joe on May 15, 2007, 04:21:54 am
Quote from: I Like Ozma on May 14, 2007, 07:54:42 pm
With Peewee Herman as your avatar, that statement really, really bothers me.

lollerskate & lollerape

Jeff42

Quote from: The Argyle Rebellion on May 13, 2007, 09:28:40 pm
If you ask me, the most telling line in the album is in "Barriers":

"Bury the domino; a symbol of your past obsession was only a worthless invention."

I know I said this in another thread, but does anyone see a dig at "Domino Effect"... it makes perfect sense.  It was a Yes, Dear song, so it could be about leaving Ozma behind.
Yes Dear's "Barriers" was a different song with the same name.

Jeff42

One of the influences listed by Ozma on their MySpace is the Back to the Future trilogy, and their are two lyrics on this album that remind me of BttF.  "I'm still dreaming of clock towers and synchronicity" from Motorology has been pointed out elsewhere, but I'd also add "I knew that it would happen, but I couldn't get back to explain, so the future remained the same" from Underneath My Tree.

Ianny

"You are catastrophe
And I rode your wave, it was carrying me
I am an island now, and it's nevermore
You're gonna be drifting up on to my shore"

Beautiful.
~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: default_anon on May 06, 2007, 09:31:40 pm
I like the allusion to 1984 in Motorology: "comfort me with doublethink." The whole song reminds me of a 1984-esque dystopian society... Maybe it's just because of that line, though.
How the hell is "Comfort me with doublethink" an allusion to 1984?
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

noonchild

The light cast dark shadows all around me

Scott Peltz

I've been thinking about the lyrics in "underneath my tree" and so far it has conjured up mostly images of rock concerts. Does anyone else picture Ryen as being the tree on stage, and we the jumping fans, are the shadows of rocking. And that he saw a face in the crowd, but lost it. Along with the whole "city built on rock and roll" that's what I kinda come up with. Granted, I don't know how everyline of the song would fit that, but a lot of it does, to me. Any thoughts?

Also, do you think the "faith" in I Wonder is a religous sort, or a faith you might have in a romantic partner who may be living across the country. I mean, i can see "loving in the highest light" both as a love of God, and a love that is so trusting, despite the distance.

CT-700

I am not really sure about Underneath My Tree, but I am kind of just leaning toward a love song behind all that imagery. And I just figured the "dreamt about a city built on rock and roll but it felt" was an allusion to when they covered "We Built This City" by Starship. God I would love to hear that cover.

The Argyle Rebellion

I definitely agree with the comment on I Wonder; it would seem to be about faith in a lover in the beginning and then it seems to shift toward a faith in a higher power, possibly God.

Either way, I really think that Ozma has outdone themselves with this record... it's been three weeks of near daily listening and I'm still not tired yet.

Sincerely,
R.C.