May 01, 2024, 03:40:29 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

what happened to yes dear?

Started by beni, January 29, 2008, 02:39:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beni

i haven't heard any news for a while and they had no gig for a long time (as it says on their website). does anyone know whats up?

Zombie Don Ho

The concept of that band was songwriting collaboration between Ryen, Jose and Nate... Their bass player quit, then Ryen and Jose left to reform Ozma, which presumably took the wind out of Nate's sails a bit.

I Like Ozma

i also think nate is busy with (the elected?)
Quote from: Elliott on December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 pm
Good point, too bad theyre gonna criticize you now.

FireAarro

Quote from: Zombie Don Ho on January 29, 2008, 08:39:50 am
The concept of that band was songwriting collaboration between Ryen, Jose and Nate... Their bass player quit, then Ryen and Jose left to reform Ozma, which presumably took the wind out of Nate's sails a bit.

Some other members joined to make it a full band again.
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

beni

Quote from: FireAarro on January 29, 2008, 04:10:13 pm
Quote from: Zombie Don Ho on January 29, 2008, 08:39:50 am

Some other members joined to make it a full band again.

yep... thats why i'm asking.

gloom-glaam

Nate plays with the Elected and, I think, the Seeds. Miah teaches drums and guitars. That's all I know about, but they probably have gotten real jobs and/or are in university, so that probably takes up quite a bit of their time.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on February 01, 2008, 03:28:14 pm
Nate plays with the Elected and, I think, the Seeds. Miah teaches drums and guitars. That's all I know about, but they probably have gotten real jobs and/or are in university, so that probably takes up quite a bit of their time.
Yeah, and also...what happened to the other Asian guy that was in it at first? Forgot his name. He played bass.
Also, while a couple other members joined to make it a full band again, they didn't really do anything, or record anything. But as for it being a Nate/Ryen/Jose writing trio....I honestly think that Nate made that band. His written songs were the best, in my opinion.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

I Like Ozma

nope, that band was LIKE TOTALLY ryens. Give Me The End was the best yes dear song, hence written by ryen. although i believe nate and ryens styles meshed very well.

CT-700

I'd have to agree with Fantastic Sam, I think Yes Dear was more Nate than Ryen. Ryen and Jose's personal styles definately contributed to the sound though.

Not Jason

I liked Yes Dear just fine, but I always heard a clear separation between Ryen and Nate's writing style.  I think in time they could have developed a chemistry that would have really tied the project together, and I think their later songs suggest that, but they never really had time to get that far.  I think Ryen wrote some decent stuff for Yes Dear, but I actually tend to prefer Nate's, which is odd, because Arlo bores me to tears.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

gloom-glaam

Now we all know about the 12 songs for download off of their website. However, does anybody else have the songs: Big Mistake, the Good Life, I don't Like You, Me and Zeke, or Motorhead? As well as: Death's Pretty Young Wife, Sad Little Chick, MollyB, Rosalie, and Sparks? Oh, and I put the lists separately because I am unsure of whether or not the latter list are Yes Dear demos, or Nate's own demos.

FireAarro

Quote from: I Like Ozma on February 04, 2008, 01:09:57 pm
nope, that band was LIKE TOTALLY ryens. Give Me The End was the best yes dear song, hence written by ryen. although i believe nate and ryens styles meshed very well.

Hence? Are you using that in the right context?
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

I Like Ozma

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on February 15, 2008, 11:51:58 am
Now we all know about the 12 songs for download off of their website. However, does anybody else have the songs: Big Mistake, the Good Life, I don't Like You, Me and Zeke, or Motorhead? As well as: Death's Pretty Young Wife, Sad Little Chick, MollyB, Rosalie, and Sparks? Oh, and I put the lists separately because I am unsure of whether or not the latter list are Yes Dear demos, or Nate's own demos.

i have never heard of any of those. have you heard them? if yes, when/how?

gloom-glaam

I' really tempted to tell you that no, I haven't heard of those songs before.

The story is that accidentally found Nate Greeley on Soulseek, while looking for some Get Set Go. After browsing his files, I noticed he had some personal demos, Yes Dear demos, and one Arlo demo. I then downloaded all of them. I asked him through soulseek and myspace if it was ok to share them with other people, but i never have got an answer. it's been awhile since I've asked, but I don't want to bug the guy.

Not Jason

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on February 16, 2008, 12:42:55 pm
I' really tempted to tell you that no, I haven't heard of those songs before.

The story is that accidentally found Nate Greeley on Soulseek, while looking for some Get Set Go. After browsing his files, I noticed he had some personal demos, Yes Dear demos, and one Arlo demo. I then downloaded all of them. I asked him through soulseek and myspace if it was ok to share them with other people, but i never have got an answer. it's been awhile since I've asked, but I don't want to bug the guy.

If I were you, I'd sit on them.  Though it's his own fault for sharing things on soulseek, it seems a little sketchy to be sharing things you found like that unless you have permission.
I am the baseball.

I Like Ozma

i would advise you to share the yesdear songs.

Not Jason

Hey, I'd like to hear them too!  All I'm saying is that just because he was sharing them on his computer doesn't mean he necessarily mean that he wanted them heard.  I have no idea how his computer is set up, but it may have been a complete accident on his part that these ended up in a folder on his computer that wound up being shared.  And yeah, that would still make it his fault that other people managed to get them, but something about the whole thing just sits wrong with me.  If he had put these on a CD or uploaded them somewhere or sent them to fans, that would be one thing, it would suggest that he wants them heard.  To me, however, a person's computer is just about as personal as a thing can be.  I think distributing things you've gotten off his computer like that is a little bit unethical.  It's like reading somebody's diary:  just because it's left in the open doesn't mean you should scan the pages and put it online.
I am the baseball.

gloom-glaam

I know, that's why i haven't shared them.

Not Jason

I'm not saying I blame you for downloading them either.  That's why I used the analogy I did:

Quote from: Not Jason on February 17, 2008, 01:06:54 pm
It's like reading somebody's diary:  just because it's left in the open doesn't mean you should scan the pages and put it online.

But of COURSE you're going to read it.  Duh.
I am the baseball.

Rome

oh just share them. don't buy into jason's self rightous banter.

Oatmeal

so.... what's Nates soulseek name?
Quote from: antiuser on December 09, 2007, 11:35:30 am
There aren't many bands out there that treat their fans like Ozma does.
http://oatmealmp3blog.blogspot.com/

Not Jason

Quote from: Rome on February 18, 2008, 12:50:51 pm
oh just share them. don't buy into jason's self rightous banter.

well, for the record, i don't think self-righteous is really the word I'd use.  i'd download them in a second if they were put online.  I'm just saying, it's somewhat unethical in my opinion.  If I were Nate, I'd be pissed.
I am the baseball.

I Like Ozma

well correct me if im wrong (which most likely i am)

but isnt the fact that he has the songs on soulseek mean that hes making them somewhat public?

gloom-glaam

I don't think he meant to put them on soulseek, he just added his whole music folder to the shared files list. It's easier than adding every folder than the three which I found.

Also, I'm not going to post his username on here, I don't think it's my duty to announce his personal details here. Not that it would change much if I did post his name, he hasn't been online forever.

I Like Ozma

alright, you dont have to... *cough* PM *cough*

gloom-glaam

Martha Gail

From Nate Greely regarding the demos via myspace message:

Quotehmm. those were not supposed to be heard. it's ok i guess but mollyb is kind of a joke song birthday present for someone, so id rather not post that one. thanks for asking at least.
That's Cobra on Cobra action.

I Like Ozma

so there is only one song he doesnt want posted woo hoo!!!

Martha Gail

Read the very first thing he says after "hmm."
That's Cobra on Cobra action.

amish

If he wanted them posted, he would have provided links to them himself.