April 18, 2024, 02:43:26 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

shooting stars - the great gatsby?

Started by i_forgot_my_old_sn, December 10, 2004, 04:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

i_forgot_my_old_sn

does anyone else see a kinda of connection.
shooting stars is about a guy coming home from war, and finding his girl with somone else.
in the great gatsby, gatsby comes back and daisey has remarried.
and in the great gatsby you get the idea it would of been best if he never would of showed up.
i dont know, i just kinda see a connection

wooti

i_forgot_my_old_sn

Not Jason

i have no insight really, as i don't really remember the book that well.  but you could be on to something, i wouldn't rule it out.  i've seen movies and such with similar stories in them, so it's possibly that it's just a sort of generic topic.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Bob511

That seems a bit too general of a link, though; there are hundreds of stories of romance thwarted by wartime service, it's practically a narrative archetype.  I mean, "Shootingstars" is basically the unfortunate converse/conclusion of the same situation in "Battlescars," no?

Not Jason

Quote from: Bob511 on December 10, 2004, 07:06:10 pm
That seems a bit too general of a link, though; there are hundreds of stories of romance thwarted by wartime service, it's practically a narrative archetype.Ã,  I mean, "Shootingstars" is basically the unfortunate converse/conclusion of the same situation in "Battlescars," no?

this has always been an interresting topic for discussion

"unfortunate converse" i have to argue is untrue.  "conclusion" on the other hand (i'm assuming you meant the slash as an either or) seems to hold up though if you assume that he's only wishful thinking in that song... which is how i've always interpretted it.  i don't remember the exact wording, but i always liked the extra unsung lyric on the website for battlescars.  I think if you include that in the interpretation you have conclude that the song is written from a perspective prior to his return.
I am the baseball.

Bob511

Quote from: Not Jason on December 10, 2004, 07:12:57 pm
"unfortunate converse" i have to argue is untrue.
I don't know, I think a case could be made.  The song is oriented around yearning, certainly, but there's also a bit of certain reality to the "you still kiss me anyway" refrain that suggests a concrete, continuing relationship, as opposed to "Shootingstar"'s tragic one.
Meh, I've never cared much for reading into lyrics anyway.

i_forgot_my_old_sn

yeah, i guess the only real reason i made the connection is i was reading the book listening to rrp3.  but it is a real wide spread topic. the whole coming home from war. so

Not Jason

Quote from: Bob511 on December 10, 2004, 07:19:33 pm
I don't know, I think a case could be made.Ã,  The song is oriented around yearning, certainly, but there's also a bit of certain reality to the "you still kiss me anyway" refrain that suggests a concrete, continuing relationship, as opposed to "Shootingstar"'s tragic one.

nor do I typically, but once in a while i can get really into it. Ã, your point does hold up, but i've always figured that within the context of the song and the music, it's easier to assume that those lines are meant in a sort of dreaming sense. Ã, musically the song is tragic, so i always had a hard time stretching to buy into the happy interpretation. Ã, as for the extra unsung line about the mixtape slapping him in the face, i interpretted the mix tape to represent memories/hope/all that romantic sentimental idealistic crap. Ã, therefore, i could take the choruses of the song and plug them into the "mixtape" imagery, and in that bonus line you pretty much sum up all of shootingstars.

not that it matters or anything, i'm just in a typing mood tonight.
I am the baseball.

icecreamman

Hmm, I am going to ready the great gatsby next week, sweet.

i_forgot_my_old_sn

i must say its a very intresting book
besides slaughterhouse-five , the great gatsby is my favorite

wooti

I like it. (Yes, Mandy, I finished it up. After the test, so it didn't help... :-\)
It was an interesting book, but I think the story of Fitzgerald himself is a tad more interesting.

Tri$tan

Quote from: Not Jason on December 10, 2004, 07:30:05 pm
Quote from: Bob511 on December 10, 2004, 07:19:33 pm
I don't know, I think a case could be made.  The song is oriented around yearning, certainly, but there's also a bit of certain reality to the "you still kiss me anyway" refrain that suggests a concrete, continuing relationship, as opposed to "Shootingstar"'s tragic one.

nor do I typically, but once in a while i can get really into it.  your point does hold up, but i've always figured that within the context of the song and the music, it's easier to assume that those lines are meant in a sort of dreaming sense.  musically the song is tragic, so i always had a hard time stretching to buy into the happy interpretation.  as for the extra unsung line about the mixtape slapping him in the face, i interpretted the mix tape to represent memories/hope/all that romantic sentimental idealistic crap.  therefore, i could take the choruses of the song and plug them into the "mixtape" imagery, and in that bonus line you pretty much sum up all of shootingstars.

not that it matters or anything, i'm just in a typing mood tonight.

are these lyrics lurking around anywhere?
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

cesarsalad