May 16, 2024, 10:23:47 pm

News:

Don't smoke m3th!

Restart Cover

Started by Brent, August 12, 2006, 09:35:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Hey everyone,

I have been absent from this board for a very long time.  I recorded a cover of Restart shortly after the release of Spending Time on the Borderline.  I was certain I lost the file during a hard-drive change a year and a half ago.  I intended to post it, but got caught up with a lot of projects and totally forgot to bounce it from ProTools.  Anyways, it will play automatically:

www.myspace.com/brentwirth

There are some missing tracks and some of the vocals are hit and miss.  Couldn't really hit all the notes too well at the time.

For an explaination of missing tracks read the bio section.  I have some other old stuff that I posted today.  For the story behind those songs read the bio section.  They were written by myself and a friend between the ages of 13 and 14. 

Thanks and all the best everyone,
-Brent

Kyosho

August 12, 2006, 01:59:54 pm #1 Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 02:01:11 pm by Kyosho
I liked it. But.. it was pretty much a carbon copy of the original. To me, I prefer covers to take the original song and add their own style to it. Basically I have no reason to want to listen to it again, when I can just listen to the original. I realize many people go into covers to make them sound exactly like the original, and I guess that when it's done properly it is quite an achievement. But not something I have any interest in listening to more than once.

I do like the other songs though.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

Brent

thanks for the kind words.  and i totally agree.  it is a pointless endeavour to copy an arrangement.  but actually you hit the nail on the head.  my goal was exactly that. 

and thank you, theres some neat things about those older tunes.  i mean don't get me wrong, they have an air of immaturity and youthfulness around them, but they still stand.  not a lot of style or creativity.  just straight up pop tunes, formulated by a couple of highschool kids.  i intended to make finish them along with a whole bunch of other incomplete ideas, but i formed a new band and my focus has quickly shifted to it, thus i'm just letting all the old stuff from the archive be heard before it is replaced.

thanks again.

also, i have lended/am lending a hand to a few other bands over this summer with some recording and gigging.  not particularily my type of music, but it was fun.  feel free to check them out and let me know what you think of them:

www.myspace.com/kilhuminzu
www.myspace.com/thesitcom

gloom-glaam

*cough*Musicians Board*cough*

tom

Kilhuminzu sounds somewhat Nada Surf-ish, which is not a bad thing by any stretch.

Brent

ya i can definitely see that. 

my apologies, i was unaware of the music board.  like i said it has been a while.

I like ozma

gloom-glaam

Quote from: Brent on August 15, 2006, 09:53:48 am
my apologies, i was unaware of the music board.Ã,  like i said it has been a while.
It's ok, I just enjoy being a jerk.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: CantelopeSkiz on August 12, 2006, 04:11:04 pm
*cough*Musicians Board*cough*
It's Ozma related.

'Tis fine here.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

k24

hey brent, i'm interested in this :

P.S. Several new classical guitar compositions, interpretations and arrangements will be posted soon after these, and a few other, tracks get their time to be heard.

Brent

hey,

well my primary instrument is and has been for quite some Classical Guitar.  Around the time I had to audition for Universities, I recorded myself to be able to hear where I could improve and such.  So I will probably post that stuff in a bit once I get it all out of protools.  I am also working on proper, polished versions of a few classical guitar solos including:

Recuerdos de la Alhambra - Tarrega
Capricho Arabe - Tarrega
Maria - Tarrega
Sevilla - Albeniz
Asturias - Albeniz
Bourree BMV 996 - J.S. Bach

and some other not-so-famous pieces.

i also have several of my own pieces written for the CD too as well as some of my own arrangements of pop tunes from bands like the beatles.

unfortunately that is getting pushed behind schedule a bit due to some other projects.  i recently formed a new band and we are busy working on recording an EP to get some demos going for our press kit.  so my focus has been on writing for that band.  however, between the months of september and december i plan on finishing up the classical recordings in one of my universities concert halls.

thanks for the interest and please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

all the best,
-Brent

theredalbum

Brent

k24

do you use Finale? i would like to see/play some of your stuff. i'm interested

Brent

ya i do use finale.  but never for scoring classical guitar.  the guitar has so much special notation that it is hard to be precise when scoring it in finale.  it is possible, but it is very tedious.

i score out a lot of my stuff by hand.  i have 1 fully scored and already recorded, but progress on the others have been slow due to other focuses.  after a few more days i'm going to start posting that stuff.  i'll be sure to post the score with the recording.