May 16, 2024, 02:06:14 pm

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

Reunion show?

Started by geektheindierocker, August 06, 2005, 01:55:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geektheindierocker

August 06, 2005, 01:55:39 pm Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 01:56:59 pm by geektheindierocker
I was perusing through myspace pages and thought Ryen's August 3rd comment on this page was interesting...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=5420797&Mytoken=20050806141217

Kyosho

Holy shit...Er...I don't know what to...hmm..
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

ozmadoodle

I can sense that one of the fingers of the dismembered "terminator" arm is starting to twitch and a vein of the eye still in the skull starts to throb.....still alive?.   There's probably hope. Time to play "light years will burn". 

Ianny

~Ozma is now back.  Do a dance!  :D

To hear more from this strange man, go to the journal.
I also have two podcasts, one updated weekly, and one updated whenever I find the time.  The weekly one is Comic Timing and is found here.The other is "The Geekspeak Report" which is found here.

Not Jason

This is pretty much entirely meaningless.  Ryen making an offhand comment that sounded more like a joke than anything doesn't really suggest it stands a chance of happening.  I can see possibly Ryen and Jose being up for it as they continued to colaborate successfully after the break up, and I will even give you the benefit of assuming star (if not star, than popular hottie temp-keyboardist mary) would be willing.  Then you have dan to worry about, who has been keeping himself rather busy lately.  And I don't think Pat wanted to be in Ozma for the last 2 years that he was IN Ozma, so I'd be shocked if he came back for something like this.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

phatpubah

Quote from: Not Jason on August 07, 2005, 11:08:03 am
And I don't think Pat wanted to be in Ozma for the last 2 years that he was IN Ozma, so I'd be shocked if he came back for something like this.
oh?

coughexplainpleasecough
CPL593H

Not Jason

August 07, 2005, 12:03:17 pm #6 Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 12:06:53 pm by Not Jason
Quote from: phatpubah on August 07, 2005, 11:50:58 am
And I don't think Pat wanted to be in Ozma for the last 2 years that he was IN Ozma, so I'd be shocked if he came back for something like this.
oh?

coughexplainpleasecough

Did you happen to see Ozma durring that time period?Ã,  He had zero enthusiasm.Ã,  Also his drumming went to hell.Ã,  Spending Time is a very boring album on drums.Ã,  He was very capable, he just didn't seem to care that much about creating quality product.Ã,  And maybe that's an unfair assumption, but it seems like he was pretty much going through the motions by the end of it.Ã,  And I'm not just saying that since they've broken up either.Ã,  For the last year of Ozma I was sort of silently expecting to check the site one day and find out that Pat had quit the band.Ã,  And I mean, I only saw Ozma 5 times total and the last three times were like what I described earlier.Ã,  Could have been a luck of the draw that I just happened to see 3 bad dates as far as Pat's performance was concerned.

And not to go into detail on something I don't know very much about or like to talk about, but we know that Pat and Dan had an disagreement that lead to the break up.Ã,  I'd be somewhat suprised if Pat would be in for an Ozma reunion.

edit:Ã,  and nothing but respect to Pat as an individual, my dealings with him as a person were only ever quite positive.Ã,  He gave me free merch a couple times.
I am the baseball.

~IYQ

sweet moses, it's only been a year! that would be ridiculous.

Quote from: ozmadoodle on August 07, 2005, 06:58:02 am
I can sense that one of the fingers of the dismembered "terminator" arm is starting to twitch and a vein of the eye still in the skull starts to throb.....still alive?. There's probably hope. Time to play You Could Be Mine
;) :rockinit:

Not Jason

August 07, 2005, 01:33:18 pm #8 Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:56:17 pm by Not Jason
Quote from: ~IYQ-san on August 07, 2005, 01:13:14 pm
sweet moses, it's only been a year! that would be ridiculous.

Quote from: ozmadoodle on August 07, 2005, 06:58:02 am
I can sense that one of the fingers of the dismembered "terminator" arm is starting to twitch and a vein of the eye still in the skull starts to throb.....still alive?. There's probably hope. Time to play You Could Be Mine
;) :rockinit:

I loved how in the music video to that, when it got to the line "out the door..." they showed a clip from the movie of a guy being thrown out the door of a moving truck.

I fucking loved Guns 'n' Roses when I was a kid.
I am the baseball.

brad

This is pretty much entirely meaningless.Ã,  Ryen making an offhand comment that sounded more like a joke than anything doesn't really suggest it stands a chance of happening.Ã,  I can see possibly Ryen and Jose being up for it as they continued to colaborate successfully after the break up, and I will even give you the benefit of assuming star (if not star, than popular hottie temp-keyboardist mary) would be willing.Ã,  Then you have dan to worry about, who has been keeping himself rather busy lately.Ã,  And I don't think Pat wanted to be in Ozma for the last 2 years that he was IN Ozma, so I'd be shocked if he came back for something like this.

IAWTP

Andy

FireAarro

Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Seb

Either it's a joke, or I get the feeling he meant doing a show with the new projects of former members of Ozma (i.e. Ryen and Jose) and former members of Velcro. Which would be like a reunion of old buddies. Hence Ozma/Velcro reunion show. Not Ozma reunion show.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

heysarahsarah

Yeah, no.  As far as I am aware, Ozma is not getting back together to perform any kind of reunion show.

Best way to see Ozma-ites would be to hit up Yes Dear and Daniel Brummel stuff as they pop up, as I'm sure most of you are aware.

I wouldn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE, but the chances in the NEAR future are likely not bright.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

mike

has anyone thought of just asking ryen what he meant by it?

anyways, didnt they break up like 5 days ago?  even if everyone was gung-ho, a reunion show seems a bit premature.

mike
I'M YELLING AT YOU BECAUSE I DON'T RESPECT YOU!

heysarahsarah

Quote from: mike on August 16, 2005, 07:17:47 pm
anyways, didnt they break up like 5 days ago?  even if everyone was gung-ho, a reunion show seems a bit premature.

Yeah, basically.

Though they have been broken up for over a year.  It's kind of scary, because I really don't know what I've done with my life in the meantime.
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Indoor Fireworks

Did you happen to see Ozma durring that time period?Ã,  He had zero enthusiasm.Ã,  Also his drumming went to hell.Ã,  Spending Time is a very boring album on drums.Ã,  He was very capable, he just didn't seem to care that much about creating quality product.Ã,  And maybe that's an unfair assumption, but it seems like he was pretty much going through the motions by the end of it.Ã,  And I'm not just saying that since they've broken up either.Ã,  For the last year of Ozma I was sort of silently expecting to check the site one day and find out that Pat had quit the band.Ã,  And I mean, I only saw Ozma 5 times total and the last three times were like what I described earlier.Ã,  Could have been a luck of the draw that I just happened to see 3 bad dates as far as Pat's performance was concerned.

And not to go into detail on something I don't know very much about or like to talk about, but we know that Pat and Dan had an disagreement that lead to the break up.Ã,  I'd be somewhat suprised if Pat would be in for an Ozma reunion.

edit:Ã,  and nothing but respect to Pat as an individual, my dealings with him as a person were only ever quite positive.Ã,  He gave me free merch a couple times.

I find it funny that you jumped to a conclusion based on just hints, guesses, speculations, and opinions. First of all, no one knows for sure if Pat was enthusiastic toward the end. Honestly, every single time I saw Ozma Pat was never bouncing off the walls with energy. He just sat and played drums. Second, whether or not you thought his drumming on the last album was good/complex is a matter of opinion. I personally thought it was great; it didn't sound like a kid trying to show off. He nailed all his parts and didn't have to do anything flashy to make those great songs better than they already were. And lastly, when I went to see Daniel Brummel at the Hotel Cafe (mind you, a good amount of time had passed since Ozma broke up), Pat was in the audience. Why would he be there if he had such a huge disagreement that may or may not have ended Ozma? Hell, I've been to the movies in Pasadena and seen Pat and Ryen walking out of the same theater I was in. So, based on that evidence, I can say Pat still has good relationships with his former band-mates. Will Ozma reuinite? Probably not. Most people in their mid-20s don't feel compelled to start jamming with their old band from high-school. But then again, who are we to rule out a reunion?
You have balls. I like balls.

The Other Mike

I don't understand how anyone can defend the drumming on spending time.  It sucks.  It's not that he needs to be flashy, but c'mon.... he could at least come up with some interesting counter--rhythms or something.  The amount of times he resorts to the simple boom-bap rhythms (1 and 3 on the bass, 2 and 4 on the snare) or slight variations on that is absurd.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

Not Jason

I'm not as ignorant as you give me credit for.  I have my information, and not all of it I feel content to share.  Still, I think my anecdotal evidence does seem suggestive.

I don't give pat so little credit as to assume he is petty, that he's going to be hauling around grudges for years after the band broke up.

I saw ozma only 5 times, yes, but spread out over a pretty good legnth of time so that I feel it gives me a pretty good cross section to judge by.  First two times I saw Ozma, pat was increadibly enthusiastic.  He was happy to meet and talk to as many fans as possible.  Last few times I saw him he hid in a corner and smoked before and after his set.

The drumming on Spending Time was remarkably less noteworthy than everything else Pat had done in the history of the band.  I won't buy any "simplistic genius" stuff because the vast majority of it isn't even mildly interresting.  I know based on the first two albums that Pat is capable of playing very interresting parts, so I feel perfectly content to assume he wasn't putting in a whole lot of effort at that point.

So, I guess agree with me or not, it's really irrelivant seeing as how utterly pointless this argument is, but I honestly don't think Pat was too crazy about being in the band for the last year or so.  All you even HAVE to do is look at the recordings, everything else is set dressing.
I am the baseball.