May 16, 2024, 12:38:37 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Dan's Singing

Started by Fantastic Max, July 17, 2006, 02:58:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic Max

I'm probably going to get shunned on this one, but has anyone else noticed the way Dan sings now. I dunno, it's real dramatic sounding in parts. He'll even almost do a talking thing through some of the lyrics rather than singing. I dunno, it's just weird to me, and I don't know if I like iit.

Although one of my friends pointed out that maybe he's doing it so as to try the songs out in new ways and not sing every song in the same ol' way they always have.

I did however love the arrangement they did for Battlescars at the Reunion show.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

I think I know what you mean, and it's not really all that new.  His singing style has been evolving for a while.  I know the last few times I saw him live (prior to the breakup) he was sort of adopting that kind of approach.  It probably also has something to do with him being in his mid-20s now (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he a smoker as well?).  I wonder if he even COULD pull off "Lorraine"-style singing at this point.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

tis not mike other

When I heard him talk sing durring Utsukushii Shibuya I just figured it was becuase he didnt really like the song becuase thats what he said before the show and he sang it in a way that seemed as if it was mocking the song or that he was bored or something. But he does seem to sing more folkish and talkitive now.

Zombie Don Ho

re: shibuya... On the Henry Fonda bootleg, it sounds to me like he's doing that because he's unhappy with the tempo.

Fantastic Max

And another thing...they're doing the songs ridiculously slow on the live shows these days...at least from what I've heard at the reunion show, and the Henry Fonda show recording.

I don't know if they're doing it to avoid extremely fast tempos which usually occur when you're playing live because people tend to speed up..or maybe it's to be able to pull off solos and guitar licks and whatnot, easier and more effortlessly, I'm not sure...But I kinda don't like the slow speed.
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: Fantastic Max on July 17, 2006, 10:03:42 pm
And another thing...they're doing the songs ridiculously slow on the live shows these days...at least from what I've heard at the reunion show, and the Henry Fonda show recording.

I don't know if they're doing it to avoid extremely fast tempos which usually occur when you're playing live because people tend to speed up..or maybe it's to be able to pull off solos and guitar licks and whatnot, easier and more effortlessly, I'm not sure...But I kinda don't like the slow speed.

well, you know who typically controls tempos in a band, and you know who's new, so I'd suspect a possible correlation.
I am the baseball.

savewhatyouare

Wake Up is pretty damn fast.

FireAarro

I thought a lot of the new tracks had been pretty fast. Alternate Dimension?
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Fantastic Max

Well off the top'a my head I can think of one that was really slow, was Battlescars..but I did however like the arrangement at the reunion show with Kenn singing and key-ing.
-Donkey Lips

Not Jason

Quote from: Fantastic Max on July 17, 2006, 11:25:07 pm
Well off the top'a my head I can think of one that was really slow, was Battlescars..but I did however like the arrangement at the reunion show with Kenn singing and key-ing.

well, as radical a rearrangement as that performance was, I think a temp change is to be expected.
I am the baseball.

I like ozma

Quote from: Not Jason on July 17, 2006, 10:36:27 pm

well, you know who typically controls tempos in a band, and you know who's new, so I'd suspect a possible correlation.

you are right, off with his head! come back pat

Not Jason

Quote from: I like ozma. on July 19, 2006, 02:41:57 pm

To clarify, that was not what I was intending to say.  I haven't heard much of this new guys drumming, but I'm sure I like it better than Spending Time era Pat drumming.  Pat was a decent drummer, but as soon as his heart left the project, his work suffered.  I wouldn't want him in the band at this point unless he was increadibly enthusiastic about it.  Since I doubt that would be the case, I welcome the change.
I am the baseball.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Not Jason on July 19, 2006, 09:54:31 pm
To clarify, that was not what I was intending to say.Ã,  I haven't heard much of this new guys drumming, but I'm sure I like it better than Spending Time era Pat drumming.Ã,  Pat was a decent drummer, but as soon as his heart left the project, his work suffered.Ã,  I wouldn't want him in the band at this point unless he was increadibly enthusiastic about it.Ã,  Since I doubt that would be the case, I welcome the change.
Good point.
-Donkey Lips

I like ozma

agreed. i was just kidding, i like kenn, he seems nicer than pat, but i am going to miss pats drumming.

ive noticed at the live shows kenn has changed some of the fills in a lot of the songs, i dont know if it is just because it is live or if it is purposeful and that is how he feels the song should be, but i like the original fills better

To clarify, that was not what I was intending to say.Ã,  I haven't heard much of this new guys drumming, but I'm sure I like it better than Spending Time era Pat drumming.Ã,  Pat was a decent drummer, but as soon as his heart left the project, his work suffered.Ã,  I wouldn't want him in the band at this point unless he was increadibly enthusiastic about it.Ã,  Since I doubt that would be the case, I welcome the change.

Nordel

I liked Pat's drumming on Spending Time I just didn't like the drum sound itself. On the first too albums it was perfectly mixed.

savewhatyouare

i always liked watching pat because it seemed his arms moved as if independent from the rest of his body.

Fantastic Max

When I saw them my first couple times, it was July 2003, just after Spending Time was released, and Pat seemed nice enough, but was a total badass on the drums, with his sunglasses.

My first encounter:
-Donkey Lips

RaRPT

back on the topic... I don't like his singing too much from the Henry Fonda boot either. The tempo on all the songs seemed good to me, but it seems like Dan's trying a little too hard with his vocals.

Not Jason

See, the first times I saw Ozma play, Pat was not only the nicest guy in the band (he gave DDD on vinyl), but he seemed really ambitious about what he was doing and his playing was great.  The last couple times I saw them play, not only was Pat preoccupied with getting backstage and getting drunk/high, but his playing was increadibly sterile.  Now I still believe that he was a capable drummer at that point in time, but I don't believe that he gave much of a shit and his beats were boring.  I do agree that the actual drum sounds on Spending Time were kind of weak (along with a lot of other questionable production features on that album), but I think his drumming on that record was far below what he'd established himself capable of on previous albums.
I am the baseball.

heysarahsarah

Dan's voice is definitely lower than it used to be.  This isn't shocking.  He was a teenager when the band began and is a man now.  I like the deeper voice. 

I haven't heard the lastest boots, but I found his voice awesome the last time we saw them live (May). 
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

I like ozma

what i noticed is he wiggles his lips a lot and stretches his mouth as far as possible. maybe that has something to do with it, or maybe hes always done it.

Maladroit

Quote from: I like ozma. on July 20, 2006, 03:31:15 pm

agreed. i was just kidding, i like kenn, he seems nicer than pat, but i am going to miss pats drumming.

ive noticed at the live shows kenn has changed some of the fills in a lot of the songs, i dont know if it is just because it is live or if it is purposeful and that is how he feels the song should be, but i like the original fills better

I talked to Daniel at the Chicago show.Ã,  I asked him about Kenn and how it was going.Ã,  He thinks Kenn is great for the band, much more so than Pat.Ã,  I could tell from the way he responded he favored Kenn over Pat.Ã,  I watched Kenn play and he is very good.Ã,  He is pretty much on with everything.Ã,  Kenn fits in nicely if you ask me...

yoshigaki

Yeah, but he'd also fit right in with the Led.  Man that 'stache is wicked.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: Alta on August 08, 2006, 07:09:44 pm
Hasn't Dan always sung like that? He kind of tilts his head back and contorts his jaw - kind of like John Popper. It's easier to hit higher pitches that way.

And about the Drumming/Tempos - I really like Kenn as an addition. He's extremely enthusiastic, and I think the new songs will have a hint of individuality. Pat was a good drummer, but it seemed like near the end he lacked enthusiasm and creativity. The drumbeats were steady, but they were only steady - nothing I'd notice.
He does that to not distort his voice over the microphone, when he sings a bit louder or yells some lyrics.
-Donkey Lips

///

dan, shibuya, sf w/rentals-    And I've been trying to let you know.. how much...how much I need you .

In the cheesy, country ballad, kind of way...it was hilarious, he laughed at himself.

jvstin

Quote from: justin on August 08, 2006, 10:10:39 pm
dan, shibuya, sf w/rentals-Ã,  Ã,  And I've been trying to let you know.. how much...how much I need you .

In the cheesy, country ballad, kind of way...it was hilarious, he laughed at himself.

i think he balled a fist and shook it a little when he "sang" that.
"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

heyDallas

(im new here)

from what i heard lastnight, he sounded really into shibuya. not as if he was mocking it, but he was really enjoying singing out some of those notes. i noticed that he did start it off really slow as mentioned earlier.

also idk if this was mentioned, but in the video of him recording the vocals in japanese, he says "this is probably the gayest song on the album". or sumtin like that

Fantastic Max

August 10, 2006, 06:29:49 pm #27 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:41:02 pm by Fantastic Max
Quote from: heyDallas on August 10, 2006, 12:47:28 pm
(im new here)

from what i heard lastnight, he sounded really into shibuya. not as if he was mocking it, but he was really enjoying singing out some of those notes. i noticed that he did start it off really slow as mentioned earlier.

also idk if this was mentioned, but in the video of him recording the vocals in japanese, he says "this is probably the gayest song on the album". or sumtin like that

I believe he's referring to simply doing it on Japanese, not the song as a whole. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Haha I just watched it again

Camera-man: "No its...It's pretty gay...it's probably the gayest song on the album."
Dan: "Yes.Ã,  Ã, ....Except....no, it's the gayest."
-Donkey Lips

FireAarro

August 11, 2006, 12:18:43 am #28 Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:14:24 am by FireAarro
It pretty much is the gayest song on the album. It's kinda nice though, still. Too much "I love you"s though, IMO. They do use that phrase a lot on that album.

EDIT: i should just "try to let you know" that i never actually use the word gay as a derogatory adjective in my usual speech and i just used it then for context
Unterreiner is tall and surprisingly thin, given that the floor of his closet is stacked high with junk food. Boxes and bags of Doritos, Twinkies and Ho-Hos spill out onto the floor. He has towels around his window to keep out the cold air at night. "I hate this old house," he said bitterly, then changed the name of an unfinished track to "Cold Day."

Not Jason

and that one line, "I've been trying to let you know how I'm really really into dudes, sexually", definitely pushes it over the line a little.
I am the baseball.