News:

Don't smoke m3th!

the elected

Started by savewhatyouare, January 20, 2006, 10:35:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

savewhatyouare

Quote from: ozmacity on March 20, 2006, 03:40:28 pm
Quote from: sandbaby on March 20, 2006, 01:55:45 pm
wow. i checked them out and they're really good (despite the fact that that guy from bright eyes is in the band.)
Which guy is from Bright Eyes?

no one is.

mike morgis (guitar/backup/producer of bright eyes) produced the record. that's bout it.

i like bright eyes.

nay. love.

drew

actually blake is on the first song on lifted, but he's not in the band or anything
-drew

Fantastic Max

Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 21, 2006, 07:45:32 am
joey the rat always makes me chuckle whenever i see him.

awesome live though.
Don't forget Pinsky from "Salute Your Shorts"
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

warren

Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 21, 2006, 07:48:28 am
wow. i checked them out and they're really good (despite the fact that that guy from bright eyes is in the band.)

no one is.

mike morgis (guitar/backup/producer of bright eyes) produced the record. that's bout it.

i like bright eyes.

nay. love.

Jason Boesel. 

savewhatyouare

Quote from: ozmacity on March 21, 2006, 09:50:39 am
Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 21, 2006, 07:45:32 am
joey the rat always makes me chuckle whenever i see him.

awesome live though.
Don't forget Pinsky from "Salute Your Shorts"

i've liked rilo kiley for about 5-6 years now, and recently got into the elected when sun sun sun came out...and I never realized that Blake was pinsky and joey the rat.  My friend had to point him out during a show and say, "hey, isn't that pinsky from salute your shorts?" IMDB is the answer to all of life's mysteries.

k24

i was going to see them but they cancelled their atlanta date.

Nordel

Quote from: warren on March 21, 2006, 11:27:34 am

no one is.

i like bright eyes.

nay. love.

Jason Boesel. 

I can't fucking stand Bright Eyes. I saw him on Leno or something and it was one of the lamest things I had ever heard.

March 22, 2006, 07:16:58 pm #67 Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 07:18:02 pm by <3 Satisfaction <3
Quote from: sandbaby on March 22, 2006, 05:08:26 am

no one is.

i like bright eyes.

nay. love.

Jason Boesel.Ã, 

Ã, 

I can't fucking stand Bright Eyes. I saw him on Leno or something and it was one of the lamest things I had ever heard.

Agree with above statement.  Also I've heard some of the albums too, and while at first I was like "wow, this is pretty Samuel" I was then like... wait... no it isn't.

savewhatyouare

March 23, 2006, 09:22:38 am #68 Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:24:40 am by savewhatyouare
Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on March 22, 2006, 07:16:58 pm

no one is.

i like bright eyes.

nay. love.

Jason Boesel.Ã, 

Ã, 

Agree with above statement.Ã,  Also I've heard some of the albums too, and while at first I was like "wow, this is pretty Samuel" I was then like... wait... no it isn't.

i guess the former is referring to "when the president talks to God," which is a throwback to old protest songs, and I admire him for singing a song that is not on any of his current records and is free for download off iTunes.

Concerning his albums, they are prettyÃ,  good. I guess a lot of people are turned off by the "next big thing" label; adds onto the whole psychological theory of the pretentious snob that is predetermined to go against the grain (if ozma hit it big, i'm pretty sure half of this board will turn their back on them and try to find some rationale by saying that they switched from dimished and minor7 chords to just plain power chords all the time...or some bullshit like that). Although his earlier works (i.e. fevers and mirrors) are slandered by being labeled "emo," his recent records (i.e. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning) are pretty damn sophisticated.

Guess I'm biased, since eveyrone I know who hates/d Bright Eyes either said a) his voice sucks (funny since most of them love Dylan, and Dylan received the same criticisms early on in his career) b) his records are overrated (funny since most of them can't name a single song on any of his records or give a rational reason why they "suck" [cue the guy who wants to prove me wrong by going to amazon and looking up all his songs] c) just biting off the formula of singer-songwriters like elliot smith, rufus wainwright, paul oakenfield etc. (same rationale of why people think bands like the Mae Shi and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are the second coming) and d) he's overly pompous by writing songs about things he doesn't even know (funny since that case can be said for any artist today)

eh...I guess if Conor went through a 10 year process of working for the underground, playing songs in basements, and refusing to play clear channel while losing thousands of dollars...he'd gain the respect of the rabid, music-snob/nazi fanbase. <---sarcasm.

and yes. I am Conor posing as a boardie trying to defend myself.

The Other Mike

I just watched the saddle creek dvd, and the shit conor was doing when he was 14 was fucking Samuel (for a 14 year old).  I just don't think he's gotten much better as a musician since then.  Fevers and Mirrors is probably the only bright eyes record I really like.  Lifted is packed with filler, digital ash starts out incredibly promising... and then you get to track 2 and it becomes pretty bad from there on out, and I'm wide awake just hasn't grabbed me.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

savewhatyouare

Quote from: The Other Mike on March 23, 2006, 11:02:31 am
I just watched the saddle creek dvd, and the shit conor was doing when he was 14 was fucking Samuel (for a 14 year old).Ã,  I just don't think he's gotten much better as a musician since then.Ã,  Fevers and Mirrors is probably the only bright eyes record I really like.Ã,  Lifted is packed with filler, digital ash starts out incredibly promising... and then you get to track 2 and it becomes pretty bad from there on out, and I'm wide awake just hasn't grabbed me.

fevers and mirrors, for some reason, is often criticized for being contrived and mediocre; but I, along with his hardcore fanbase, believe is his best record. I enjoyed Lifted, but can see why people may think it's "packed with filler," although i don't feel that way. I don't like Digital Ash as a record; there are some gems in them (i.e. hit the switch), but it doesn't flow to enough for replayability. Wide Awake, to me, is an Samuel record, and succeeds in what Digital Ash couldn't do for him, which is to show the range of musicianship that is capable. I do believe that Wide Awake, albeit receiving much critical acclaim, was one of the most underrated albums of 05; not in the sense of praise, but in the sense that not enough people heard it, or gave it a try. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a philistine, according to the guy at an MIA show, cause I wore a Bright Eyes shirt.

drew

when i first heard about bright eyes i didn't even give them a chance cos they were so hyped up, but when i finally listened- i loved it. and still love it. my fave is definitely "i'm wide awake.." "digital ash" is...meh.."fevers.." is great..i'm going to bonnaroo this year and can't wait to see them!!!!
-drew

Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 23, 2006, 09:22:38 am
Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on March 22, 2006, 07:16:58 pm

no one is.

i like bright eyes.

nay. love.

Jason Boesel.Ã, 

Ã, 

Agree with above statement.Ã,  Also I've heard some of the albums too, and while at first I was like "wow, this is pretty Samuel" I was then like... wait... no it isn't.

i guess the former is referring to "when the president talks to God," which is a throwback to old protest songs, and I admire him for singing a song that is not on any of his current records and is free for download off iTunes.

Concerning his albums, they are prettyÃ,  good. I guess a lot of people are turned off by the "next big thing" label; adds onto the whole psychological theory of the pretentious snob that is predetermined to go against the grain (if ozma hit it big, i'm pretty sure half of this board will turn their back on them and try to find some rationale by saying that they switched from dimished and minor7 chords to just plain power chords all the time...or some bullshit like that). Although his earlier works (i.e. fevers and mirrors) are slandered by being labeled "emo," his recent records (i.e. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning) are pretty damn sophisticated.

Guess I'm biased, since eveyrone I know who hates/d Bright Eyes either said a) his voice sucks (funny since most of them love Dylan, and Dylan received the same criticisms early on in his career) b) his records are overrated (funny since most of them can't name a single song on any of his records or give a rational reason why they "suck" [cue the guy who wants to prove me wrong by going to amazon and looking up all his songs] c) just biting off the formula of singer-songwriters like elliot smith, rufus wainwright, paul oakenfield etc. (same rationale of why people think bands like the Mae Shi and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are the second coming) and d) he's overly pompous by writing songs about things he doesn't even know (funny since that case can be said for any artist today)

eh...I guess if Conor went through a 10 year process of working for the underground, playing songs in basements, and refusing to play clear channel while losing thousands of dollars...he'd gain the respect of the rabid, music-snob/nazi fanbase. <---sarcasm.

and yes. I am Conor posing as a boardie trying to defend myself.

Thanks for the reply.  Honestly, I shouldn't be talking because I don't know much about it/him and I have only heard a handful of things.  However what I was referring to was whatever album opens up with him telling the story about the man/woman on a plane or something... And it's not really a "song" as much of like spoken word/poetry, with his guitar in there a bit as I recall.  I thought it was really creative and interesting at first, but as I recall by the end of that song, I was like "the direction that went in sucked."  And the rest of the album was somewhat musically "boring" to me...  So, that's really all I was talking about.

tom

jason boesel is in rilo kiley, not bright eyes. I'm pretty sure no one in the elected touring band plays in bright eyes.

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on March 23, 2006, 04:51:04 pm
jason boesel is in rilo kiley, not bright eyes. I'm pretty sure no one in the elected touring band plays in bright eyes.

You know, I was wondering why Bright Eyes was being talked about in this thread.

tom

Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on March 23, 2006, 04:56:21 pm

You know, I was wondering why Bright Eyes was being talked about in this thread.

Yeah, Mogis is a great producer/recording player for The Elected, but he definitely is not in their touring band. I dont know if its him or Mike Bloom that someone is getting confused about, but Bloom is also in Rilo Kiley so I dont even know how that came up.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on March 23, 2006, 05:10:55 pm
Quote from: <3 Satisfaction <3 on March 23, 2006, 04:56:21 pm

Yeah, Mogis is a great producer/recording player for The Elected, but he definitely is not in their touring band. I dont know if its him or Mike Bloom that someone is getting confused about, but Bloom is also in Rilo Kiley so I dont even know how that came up.

isn't jason best friends like tobey mcguire? isn't that why tobey goes to their shows. When jason went up on stage to play a paper plate (not joking) during an elected song, Blake made fun of him by telling the crowd that he was wearing a seabiscuit sweater...which he was.

tom

oh...i couldnt help ya with that one...

Nordel

I'm not really turned off by the "next big thing" craze or however you put it. I just honestly don't think he is very good. His lyrics are lame, his melodies aren't pleasing to my ears,  nothing in his guitar playing has impressed me, and his singing voice annoys me.  It's sounds like maybe he could sing well if he tried, but he's trying to sound crappy or something to be cool. I don't know if that makes any sense at all. I just see no redeeming qualities in his music. I don't have a strong hatred for it, I just don't understand why everyone loves it so much.

And as for that song I saw on Leno "When the President Talks to God." It seemed like a crappy, almost emo, Bob Dylan. Which is just not a good combination. I had to change the channel after like two seconds because I felt so embarrased for the guy and I couldn't take it. Believe me, I have tried to give this music a chance, even after hearing that. Because everybody keeps on fucking raving about it. But I still think Bright Eyes sucks, or at its very very best is quite mediocre.

warren

March 24, 2006, 08:15:16 am #79 Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:16:30 am by warren

Boesel has toured and played on bright eyes albums.

I think he even performed with them on the craig ferguson show, as proof.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: sandbaby on March 24, 2006, 03:29:53 am
I'm not really turned off by the "next big thing" craze or however you put it. I just honestly don't think he is very good. His lyrics are lame, his melodies aren't pleasing to my ears,Ã,  nothing in his guitar playing has impressed me, and his singing voice annoys me.Ã,  It's sounds like maybe he could sing well if he tried, but he's trying to sound crappy or something to be cool. I don't know if that makes any sense at all. I just see no redeeming qualities in his music. I don't have a strong hatred for it, I just don't understand why everyone loves it so much.

And as for that song I saw on Leno "When the President Talks to God." It seemed like a crappy, almost emo, Bob Dylan. Which is just not a good combination. I had to change the channel after like two seconds because I felt so embarrased for the guy and I couldn't take it. Believe me, I have tried to give this music a chance, even after hearing that. Because everybody keeps on fucking raving about it. But I still think Bright Eyes sucks, or at its very very best is quite mediocre.

it's all a matter of preference i guess. I'm sure a person who listens to hardcore gangster rap would hate Bright Eyes. As for his lyrics, I think that is one thing every critic/fan/hater finds is his best quality. One of my closest friends who HATES Bright Eyes (mostly for the same reasons you do) thinks the lyrics are great (i.e. at the bottom of everything/let's not shit ourselves)<-- to give examples wouldn't help, since almost every Bright Eyes song has a line or "moment" that people can use as their own personal motto.

As for the "emo dylan," I have never heard anyone call that emo, and don't find anything emo about it. Although I don't find Conor to be the best political ambassador for the left, at least he has something to say, and I respect that.

And to Warren's response, I totally forgot, Jason Boesel did play with Bright Eyes. I even saw him play in Santa Barbara and remembering thinking "hey it's the drummer from Rilo Kiley." Also, in the "Motion Sickness" live album, Jason writes about his whole experience in the booklet, with one reference to Jenny Lewis, band hopping between playing sets with Rilo Kiley and Bright eyes, and his extreme anguish when he found out that Hunter S. Thompson killed himself.

Not Jason

I probably shouldn't be steering us further off topic, but I just wanted to voice my opinion, which is that Bright Eyes is really solid.  A lot of cool people hate him because a lot of lame people love him, I know, but I think that a lot of people do not give him a fair a shake at all.  I cannot think a lyricist that I would consider better than him.  Sometimes the way he musically articulates himself fails to appeal to me, but good bright eyes lyrics are hard to match.  I really don't understand how anyone who's actually given them a good listen can dissagree on that point.  I more than understand not finding it sonically appealing (hell, even unlistenable), but finding the lyrics lame is a sign to me that one hasn't given them a fair listen.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Nordel

Okay I was harsh when I said that the lyrics sucked. But I still just don't think they're very good. This topic has veared completely off and I apologize. It is my fault. I guess my original point was, despite the fact they have some sort of tie to something I dislike, The Elected is, in my opinion, a good band.

savewhatyouare

Quote from: sandbaby on March 24, 2006, 12:39:09 pm

Okay I was harsh when I said that the lyrics sucked. But I still just don't think they're very good. This topic has veared completely off and I apologize. It is my fault. I guess my original point was, despite the fact they have some sort of tie to something I dislike, The Elected is, in my opinion, a good band.

it's more my fault than yours.

agree to disagree.

the elected is a very good band. they are killer live...specially when dan rocks out like a maniac. At the last LA show at the echo, Dan was rocking out so hard that his amp got messed up...and while Blake was trying to fix it, the other band members were blaming Dan (playfully of course) and Blake said, "you can't really blame dan for being a punk rocker. he is kinda in a punky band."

'biggest star' is so damn good live.

k24

i recently saw a commerical on tv where this guy runs his car into a shopping center or something..and the music was the elected's.

patty

i've seen it.
its an orbit ad.
i thought it was cute.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 24, 2006, 01:18:49 pm
the elected is a very good band. they are killer live...specially when dan rocks out like a maniac. At the last LA show at the echo, Dan was rocking out so hard that his amp got messed up...and while Blake was trying to fix it, the other band members were blaming Dan (playfully of course) and Blake said, "you can't really blame dan for being a punk rocker. he is kinda in a punky band."

Haha

Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 24, 2006, 01:18:49 pm
'biggest star' is so damn good live.

I second that. Like 10 minutes of badass-ish-ness-osity.
-Donkey Lips

patty

the elected are back in sf tonight.
i dont know if dan is playing.
but im not going cuz im way too tiered do that shit.
plus i think it sold out already.

Fantastic Max

It almost wasn't worth it, when I went to their show, cause they were opening for some other semi-crappy melodramatic band, and I ended up spending like $60 for it, cause I paid $20 for me my girlfriend, and my friend, and it doesn't feel like he paid me back, even though he paid for like my meal one time.

But anyways, it was a great show nonetheless, but I wish they'd headlined.
-Donkey Lips

Helpless Rock

Quote from: ozmacity on April 29, 2006, 12:06:58 am
It almost wasn't worth it, when I went to their show, cause they were opening for some other semi-crappy melodramatic band, and I ended up spending like $60 for it, cause I paid $20 for me my girlfriend, and my friend, and it doesn't feel like he paid me back, even though he paid for like my meal one time.

But anyways, it was a great show nonetheless, but I wish they'd headlined.

I'm pretty sure I've paid for your meal twice on concert trips.