April 29, 2024, 09:12:18 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

March 12th

Started by noonchild, March 12, 2006, 10:49:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

noonchild

Show was awesome, met Samantha, Lisa, Dylan, Bob and Sarah... Saw Niles.  Good stuff. 
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Indoor Fireworks

So fucking good. The new song was great. I'm bad at making musical comparisons, but it sounded to me like a mix between "Spending Time" and "Curve in the Old 1-9" (the geek rock distorted guitars + keyboard, but with alot of musical complexity).

There were people all over the stage with video cameras. It'd be great to see a DVD of this show.

Whoever said everyone who goes to an Ozma show just stands around was very, very wrong. My friend's shirt was covered in his own blood by the end of the night. No lie... covered. It was a white shirt, now it looks pink/orange.

I don't give a shit if you drove from out of town to see Ozma; it still does not give you the right to get really fucking drunk and hang on to the shoulders of the people in front of you while you scream in their ear "DO YOU KNOW DANIEL BRUMMEL? IS HE A COOL GUY?" Everyone was there to have a good time so please respect other people's personal space and let them enjoy the show too.

The new shirts look cool.

I'm very sleepy and not going to bother looking for errors in spelling or grammmer.

You have balls. I like balls.

noonchild

I thought the new song had a very Domino Effectish melody to it.

Not Jason

You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

noonchild

March 12, 2006, 11:23:16 pm #4 Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:24:49 pm by noonchild
Forgive my drunken memory but I'll do my best until someone has a better one.

They started with...

Natalie Portman
Spending time (fromÃ,  here on in I'm not sure of the order)
Shooting Stars
Domino Effect
New song
Baseball
Rocks
Battle scars
Flight of the bootymaster
Turtleneck cover up
Restart
Eponine
Game over
Tetris
No one needs to know
The buissness of gettign down
Wake up
They ended with In search of...

savewhatyouare

jesus h. christ. what a great fucking show. This was the most energetic Ozma show I've ever been too, besides when they played with Slowreader at the El Rey.

i recorded a lot of their songs (including the new song) with my shitty ass digital camera. Dont expect great quality...but youll get a sense of waht the show was like.

I'm gonna upload on youtube now.

unfilmstill

March 12, 2006, 11:39:56 pm #6 Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:49:25 pm by lisa marie
FUCK YES! Samuel!
i met dylan, ryne, bob, sarah, david, i like ozma, kris (again) and hung out with samantha and her sister and friend who were Samuel and picked me up and dropped me off. i love all of you guys!
the show turned into a pretty damn violent ordeal with tons of almost getting trampled moments and i had to be pulled out of the pit because i almost collaped onto the floor. never did i think an ozma show would be too hardcore for me.
ryne and i held hands durning baseball and wake up and it was super cute and so fun.

um, my personal favorite was them playing rocks. i was jumping and oh it was Samuel!
energy through the roof! and i <3 ken. he did an Samuel job.
and lol@handclaps being local celebs.

;D

edit: EW@boys yelling lewd things to star. i had to be a bitch and yell at them for being disrespectful. they were the drunk assholes who started all the fucking violent crowd swaying shit too. ugh. wish i had had the balls to hit them. bastards!

March 12, 2006, 11:47:18 pm #7 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:10:07 am by srm273
OMG!

I loved how the entire band was loaded with energy--not just Jose.

There were too many cameras.Ã,  The above set list is a bit in the wrong order... I can tell you now for certain what the last few songs were:

Baseball
Domino Effect
Eponine
--encore:--
Battlescars
Rocks

I didn't meet any OFFersÃ,  :(

noonchild

It's completly wrong in order, but I got all the songs right?  18 in all?

stefanie

pics plz

Sweet set list!  You guys were so lucky!  I am so jealous!  I am using exclamation points!

Quote from: srm273 on March 12, 2006, 11:47:18 pm
I didn't meet anyone :(
REALLY??!

March 12, 2006, 11:52:53 pm #10 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:11:59 am by srm273
Quote from: noonchild on March 12, 2006, 11:49:30 pm
It's completly wrong in order, but I got all the songs right?Ã,  18 in all?

yeah, I believe it was 18. Ã, You do seem to have them all.

Also-- no one mentioned about how 3 of 4 members of Satisfaction ran out on stage in their underpants. Ã, I thought it was rather funny. Ã, During Wake Up I believe...

also, don't count on a DVD anytime soon--but did anyone record an audio boot?

edit to fix my Satisfaction spelling mistakes.Ã,  and btw, I LOVE Satisfaction.Ã,  The music is great, I love the "style" of the band, and they are SO nice.

edit#2:Ã,  The crowd was Samuel.Ã,  It seemed kinda rough down there, but everyone had SO much energy and rocked out just as hard as the band.Ã,  it was awesome, awesome.

edit#3:Ã,  The new stuff reminds me of "old stuff, but with different instruments."Ã,  I know that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it doesn't sound anything like Spending Time SONGS to me--but it sounds like it has some "spending time thought" behind it.Ã,  Like... "If My Amp Had Wheels" but with less distortion...Ã,  i dunno.Ã,  i'm sew drunx.Ã,  (lol, not) --that's not what I mean, but I feel like it's classic Ozma taken to a new level--not in the direction of Spending Time...

noonchild

Bob did.  I missed satisfaction in their underwear as I was at the bar.

savewhatyouare

oh and i forgot...

what did everyone think of mi shu? (sp?)

you know how in Alien 3, David Fincher used a certain tone for the soundtrack to make the audience feel sick and claustrophobic....

...yeah......

cesarsalad

they didn't play last dance, just 1988. and mei shu was one of the worst fucking bands i've ever seen.

however, ozma's show was absolutely fantastic. completely everything i could have wanted from an ozma show.

March 13, 2006, 12:18:14 am #14 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:19:47 am by srm273
Quote from: savewhatyouare on March 13, 2006, 12:11:08 am

what did everyone think of mae-shi? (sp?)

Well, I admire the "experimental" aspect of them. Ã, But I can't imagine sitting at home or in my car listening to it all. Ã, I think they're very creative, I just couldn't see myself listening to them any time other than a show... Ã, Like, you know, you wouldn't dress up in costume to watch Rocky Horror if you were just watching it by yourself in your living room. Ã, They put on an interesting show, but yeah... parts made me ill too.

edit: btw, I don't think they're great paired with Ozma.  Satisfaction was better for this.

Zombie Don Ho

I thought I recognized some of you from the photo thread. Like Ryne. But I wasn't sure.

Ozma highlights:

-mustachioed Satisfaction jumping around during a song
-New song- potentially pretty good, sounded like they didn't really have their crap together. But very promising. Dan sings it, lots of Ryen melodic guitar wailing.
-Bootymaster! Baseball!
-New Battlescars arrangement
-Britney Spears-style mic for Star.

Ozma blooper reel:
-TERRIBLE mix. Ryen's guitar was a zillion times louder than anyone else, and it was unfortunate, because...
-Ryen's playing was about as sloppy as i've ever seen him play.
-Tetris fizzles out when an amp gets unplugged by the camera dude.

It may be that I've just been to way too many Ozma shows, But this one was overall pretty underwhelming and mediocre. Satisfaction played a much tighter set.

[/buzzkill]

Regarding the Mae Shi:

On one hand, I respect that they're trying to do something really out there and post-modern... On the other hand, If I wanted to watch a group of hopped up lunatics yell at me while masturbating, I'd go to a mental hospital and get the genuine article. Novel, but ultimately not a shtick I ever want to endure again.

savewhatyouare

I've posted vids on youtube. Theyre not all up yet...but tetris and nat are ready. The quality is terrible and the sound is out of sync. Youtube doesnt like my videos for some reason.

i also have pics, but i cant figure out how to post it on the board...does photobucket not work or something?

awesome!  thanks.  I don't know anything about photos... I usually just put them on my website, and then link them. 

HOWEVER, I think you can upload here, and then link:

http://www.ozmafans.com/photos/

savewhatyouare

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/digitalashurn/album?.dir=ccfe&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/digitalashurn/my_photos

there's a link to some pictures from the knitting factory show. (06- 3)

theres another ozma album from the december 3rd show at the troub. (05 -12).

feel free to browse around the other albums and mock me for being asian.

The Other Mike

Why is everyone hating on the mae shi?  The mae shi is fucking awesome.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

oatmeal

March 13, 2006, 07:49:09 am #20 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:44:51 am by oatmeal
The melody of the new song I heard on youtube sounded very familior to me.(I know It had a little bit of domino effect, but the other parts sounded familior as well) Myabee an commuter melody?

Yeah theres difenitly some older commuter melodys in here. <---edit

Fantastic Max

I saw a couple groups of who I thought might be forum members. I did see that one guy from here, that's like a kinda chunky mexican guy with buddy holly(weezer)-type glasses and a red shirt.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

claydarcy

March 13, 2006, 08:42:22 am #22 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:22:35 pm by The Subjunctive Mood
Ryne. :D

edit--oops, Kris. owned. :(

Not Jason

Quote from: The Other Mike on March 13, 2006, 06:43:41 am
Why is everyone hating on the mae shi?Ã,  The mae shi is fucking awesome.

The Mae Shi is far beyond awesome. Ã, Seriously guys. Ã, Terrorbird has to be one of the top 10 records I've ever heard. Ã, I understand why the average Ozma fan wouldn't like them, but it doesn't mean you're not wrong. Ã, They are objective quality.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

The Other Mike

If anyone who heard the mae shi for the first time at this show and was put off wants to give them another shot, IM me (Lrishb4st4rd) and I'd be happy to hook you up with their albums.  They make some great music and have some Samuel and original ideas about the way we make and think about music.  Read any interviews with them and check out ezra's dad's synths (Buchla Synths) for some insight into their music.
blackjack1084 (11:02:36 PM): eat my ass
blackjack1084 (11:02:38 PM): and get a life

www.myspace.com/therattlesnakes

I like ozma

i only met marm and lisa marie, and two other people but i dont remember what their names were. but i was looking for ozmacity and i couldnt find him. i think i had the best seats in the house, i sat on the upper level right above ozma

oatmeal

Man I wish I could have met you guys. Going to any other ozma concerts in So Cal soon?

noonchild

I forgot to mention I also meet Ryne and his sister who were two very cool cats.

kitten

i had so much fun last night. 

i can't believe i didn't meet niles.  i'm kind of dissapointed.  samuel, are you going to be there tonight?
total i met:
david
ryne
hipsun
i like ozma (dude, i can't remember what you said your name was)
sarah
bob
patrick
kenn (who is a lurker here)

sorry if i forgot anyone.  everyone was really nice.  i really really enjoyed satisfaction, and though the mae shi was different, i was pretty freaking entertained by them.  at some points i wanted to tell them to shut up, but i liked them.  i like the guitarist who ran out in the audience.  he came up stairs and stood by me, and i tried to get sarah's attention to take his picture, but she was taking pictures of the stage.  i thought ozma sounded pretty good.  i did like their energy and i really love what they did to battlescars.  i like kenn shane.  i'm sorry, i'll miss pat, he's a great guy, but i really like kenn.  we're supposed to go tonight so i'll see whoever else goes.  i'll have on a black camisole shirt, a black cardigan, and bluejeans.

Sandguy

Quote from: ozmacity on March 13, 2006, 08:11:03 am
I saw a couple groups of who I thought might be forum members. I did see that one guy from here, that's like a kinda chunky mexican guy with buddy holly(weezer)-type glasses and a red shirt.

kris? couldn't have been me. i had a blue shirt... and i'm filipino.

the show last night was incredible. like i said in another thread, the new song is based off "Freeway Fanfare" of commuter music. battlescars opening was great as done by kenn, i almost fell into the chorus yell-hole deal... i'm glad i didn't, otherwise i'd resort to jumping off the balcony/loft. dan got presents! i gave him a fresno state bulldog baseball cap and kris gave him his jumpsuit back. i wish he wore them both on stage.

it's been years since a saw sarah and bob, both of you look great, bob especially.  lisa is as pretty as she is in pictures, i want to pinch your cheeks! i thought samantha would be taller, but she does have that dancer body. :) david, i expect you in your elephant thong dancing with satisfaction.

i have more to post, but i'm in a go-go-go kind of mood. so no time to waste.