April 29, 2024, 09:09:40 am

News:

When's the last time you said "I love you" to a friend!?

Back To The Future

Started by gloom-glaam, May 31, 2006, 03:25:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt45

it was a joke. first off that's not a real song song and second Ozma have no b-sides.
Senor Beavis! Donde Esta Tu Hall Pass?

funwithsponges

Yeah, but you could say that a lot of people have digital copies of that album, so it almost does count.

But of course, you could say that a lot of people have digital recordings of (any random artist's) b-sides, so maybe that's a slippery slope.

Not Jason

The closest things Ozma have to B-Sides are "Denise" and the Japanese version of "Utsuwhatever Shibuya" (sp?).  The reason I qualify those is that they didn't truely appear on any standard releases of Ozma records (I don't quite count the enhanced section of Spending Time, that's a fuzzy grey area.  However, they both appear on the Japanese releases of The Doubble Donkey Disc and Spending Time on the Borderline respectively.  They wouldn't qualify in the strict sense of being released on the flip side of a 7", but it's a solid argument in their favor.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

Colt45

i'd qualify denise as a "rarity" rather than a "b-side."

Seb

Technically, the only officially-released B-side is probably "The Business of Getting Down". It's a genuine flipside of a genuinely officially released 7" single. Oh, and "Apple Trees" on the radio-promo of "Domino Effect".

But even though those are technically b-sides, they're not what people tend to consider b-sides because they were also released on albums.
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

ironbird

yes, you are right, they do say "warp me back at 88".  but the other line does say "1988 take me back to 1987."  lost/gave, its all the same.  lets not split hairs here!  my point was, and still is, that the song is not about bttf. 
If you're reading this then you have no life!  Go ask a girl out or something!ãâ,¬â,¬Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã£ÂÂ¾Ã£Ââ€˜Ã£Ââ€žÃ£ÂÂ¬

Seb

Quote from: ironbird on June 07, 2006, 06:02:29 am
my point was, and still is, that the song is not about bttf.Ã, 

No-one disagreed with you on that, though - but you originally said it had "nothing to do with bttf", upon which people disagreed with you by stating that the line was in all probability a reference.

Only one actual Ozma song is fully about BTTF, and only one other Brummel song. But this thread seemed to have developed into discussing references in other songs - songs like Come Home Andrea, Gameover and so on, which aren't about the trilogy but have what are almost certainly references in them...
"Just tell me one thing - is this business, or is it personal? Because if it's business, then I'll go away happily. But if it's personal? I'll go away. But I won't be happy."

Colt45

too bad brummel's favorite movie of the 1980's wasn't labrynth.

noonchild

Quote from: Colt45 on June 07, 2006, 09:28:28 am
thank the good lord brummel's favorite movie of the 1980's wasn't labrynth.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

ironbird

so yes, i agree with you.  i made a wrong statement. 
If you're reading this then you have no life!  Go ask a girl out or something!ãâ,¬â,¬Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã£ÂÂ¾Ã£Ââ€˜Ã£Ââ€žÃ£ÂÂ¬

Samuel <3 OZMA

Well, technically, "10:04 PM" isn't really even about the movie "Back To The Future."

Just wanted to stir up some shit like the old days. <3

I also have the live version of Dan saying just that--but the point of the song I believe was to tell a story that is only related to BTTF.Ã,  Certainly, the references to the movie are there, but the song is actually NOT about the movie, "Back to the Future."Ã,  If you listen to the lyrics it's clear that it's not talking in the first person about an experience in the movie like, for example, "Lorraine" is.

I don't know if it's appropriate to divulge song meanings on the forums when they're actually about personal experiences. :/Ã,  But my point is that if we're splitting hairs, "10:04 PM" isn't necessarily about BTTF.

Not Jason

Well, unless you have inside information from Dan that was told to you in what you believe was assumed confidence, I don't see the harm in talking about interpretations of the song.

I personally have no such inside information.  It seems to me that first off, 10:04 PM isn't a very lyrically dense song.  It's verses are short, but for the most part, don't have a lot to do with back to the future.  The chorus is pretty direct though.

"At ten oh four something happens that will take you and your love away from me, at ten oh four something happens and I'll tell you what your future's gonna be, oh that you're not coming home or your coming on home to me"... that is just my interpretation from distant memory, I may have fucked up some words.

Whatever that chorus is actually intended to mean, it definitely uses back to the future as more than a passing refference.  There may be some kind of metaphor (i frequently misapply the word "metaphor", so appologies if this is such a case) in those lines, but I think on at least a superficial level, the chorus is ABOUT back to the future in a somewhat undeniable way.

I don't really know what the fuck I'm talking about mind you.  It just seemed like the kind of argument I should pointlessly involve myself in.
I am the baseball.

Samuel <3 OZMA

June 09, 2006, 09:30:46 am #42 Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 03:30:03 am by heysarahsarah

It's not even as "deep" as a metaphor.  But yeah, not that there are many lyrics, but if you pay attention to some of the lyrics they don't really apply to "BTTF" at all.

Anyway, I sent you a PM Jason.

Mod edit: No karma discussion in topic threads, thank you.

Not Jason

well, like I said, it's pretty obvious that "I'll wear my tux, you wear your gown, we'll take a rented limo down, to where they filmed the lightning scene, you'll be hillvalley's queen" is not about back to the future.  And I think it's pretty easy to speculate what it probably actually is about.  Other than apparently sharing a set with bttf, those lyrics don't connect with any part of the movie.
I am the baseball.

tis not mike other

Quote from: Samuel <3 OZMA on June 08, 2006, 06:17:14 pm
Well, technically, "10:04 PM" isn't really even about the movie "Back To The Future."

Just wanted to stir up some shit like the old days. <3

I also have the live version of Dan saying just that--but the point of the song I believe was to tell a story that is only related to BTTF.Ã,  Certainly, the references to the movie are there, but the song is actually NOT about the movie, "Back to the Future."Ã,  If you listen to the lyrics it's clear that it's not talking in the first person about an experience in the movie like, for example, "Lorraine" is.

I don't know if it's appropriate to divulge song meanings on the forums when they're actually about personal experiences. :/Ã,  But my point is that if we're splitting hairs, "10:04 PM" isn't necessarily about BTTF.

I agree with what your saying. Thats what I thought of the song before. I would higher your karma if I could Sammuel.  The constant lowered karma points for not too aperant reasons get anoying,

noonchild

June 09, 2006, 05:40:24 pm #45 Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:39:38 pm by noonchild
Just because no one has come out and said it yet... isn't the song about (or for arguments sake, mostly about) a date Daniel had... prom I believe... where he took his date to universal studios??Ã,  I've been on the tour there and they still have the set from the movie up.Ã,  It's vauge but that's what I remember.

Samuel <3 OZMA

Quote from: =Oatmeal= on June 09, 2006, 05:05:56 pm
I agree with what your saying. Thats what I thought of the song before. I would higher your karma if I could Sammuel.Ã,  The constant lowered karma points for not too aperant reasons get anoying,

thanks!  but dude, as I recall, you've promised SOOO many people +1's and you're almost to that status, so you'd better remember all those +1's you owe!!!

Noonchild:  Sounds good to me.

Fantastic Max

Quote from: noonchild on June 09, 2006, 05:40:24 pm
Just because no one has come out and said it yet... isn't the song about (or for arguments sake, mostly about) a date Daniel had... prom I believe... where he took his date to universal studios??Ã,  I've been on the tour there and they still have the set from the movie up.Ã,  It's vauge but that's what I remember.
Yeah, a lot of that movie was filmed at that set, the whole 50s scenes, and the clock-tower is still there. It's permanent, because I've seen it in various music videos and on tv shows...one example is the Offspring video "Why Don't You Get A Job" they walk past the clock-tower.

But I have never heard anything about Dan taking his prom date to Universal Studios.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

Samuel <3 OZMA

June 10, 2006, 08:54:29 pm #48 Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 04:37:28 pm by heysarahsarah

Anyway, I too have been to the clock tower-- twice.  OMG.  It was one of the defining moments of my life.  Once when I was five, and once, ten years later.  I can die happy now.

Anyway, check this shit out:

Yeah, that's right.  Along with seeing the actual BTTF clocktower, all of Ozma & Satisfaction signed my toad. 

Mod edit: STOP FUCKING WHINING ABOUT KARMA IN MY TOPIC THREADS, GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!

kitten

wait, you brought that with you?  did you have to check it, or was it carry on?  where do you live again?

Samuel <3 OZMA

KEEP IT COMING, BITCHES!

Not you, Samantha. <3 :)Ã,  To answer your question, no, I didn't bring it with me.Ã,  I'm not that crazy.Ã,  I bought it at a thrift store right before the San Diego show.Ã,  Then I realized it would be cool to have everyone sign it.Ã,  Bringing it home, I did keep it bundled in my checked luggage.Ã,  And, for some reason, I had one of those "YOUR BAG HAS BEEN INSPECTED BY AIRLINE SECURITY" stickers when I finally got to Baltimore.Ã,  I'm assuming it was either because of my Ozma toad or this huge rock that I brought home from some reason.

funwithsponges

June 11, 2006, 10:44:03 am #51 Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:16:38 pm by heysarahsarah
Usually, Samuel, complaining about karma = people lower it just to spite you.  You are not your karma.

Mod edit: Yes, let this be the last post connected to karma.  All other mentions of the word in this topic thread will be deleted.  I only left this intact to advise why it is happening.

Please read the rules.  Thank you.

tis not mike other

June 11, 2006, 11:51:48 am #52 Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:27:53 pm by =Oatmeal=
Quote from: Samuel <3 OZMA on June 10, 2006, 08:54:29 pm

Anyway, I too have been to the clock tower-- twice.Ã,  OMG.Ã,  It was one of the defining moments of my life.Ã,  Once when I was five, and once, ten years later.Ã,  I can die happy now.

Anyway, check this shit out:

Yeah, that's right.Ã,  Along with seeing the actual BTTF clocktower, all of Ozma & Satisfaction signed my toad.Ã,  So fuck you karma-lowering-bastards.Ã,  I don't care, about your petty bullshit.Ã,  You're stuck with me whether you like it or not.

Wow Ryen signed with an exlimation point.I never seen him do that before. Thats cool. Who was the one that signed the butt I cant make it out?

I like ozma

i believe the correct term is "sang"

Samuel <3 OZMA

Quote from: funwithsponges on June 11, 2006, 10:44:03 am
Usually, Samuel, complaining about karma = people lower it just to spite you.Ã,  You are not your karma.

Mod edit: Yes, let this be the last post connected to karma.Ã,  All other mentions of the word in this topic thread will be deleted.Ã,  I only left this intact to advise why it is happening.

Please read the rules.Ã,  Thank you.

Sorry, I didn't read the rules.Ã,  :/Ã,  And yeah, I know why "it" happens.Ã,  :PÃ,  It's cool.Ã,  I like you all anyway.  --Except for Tim, but I can say that only 'cause he doesn't have the internet anymore.  Don't worry guys, he's not dead.

And that's Jose's sig.Ã,  He went straight for the butt.

--And I love how I'm not allowed to talk about "you-know-what," but no one complains about all the "FUCK YOUs" and other 4-letter-word insults I've been throwing out to fellow OFFers.

heysarahsarah

I have also repeatidly reminded boarders to try and play nice.  Honestly, this shouldn't be a difficult forum to mod.  I'm not going to delete EVERY flame, since most are in jest, but I AM going to delete stupid karma babble in topic threads because it is childish and distracting.   The rules state not to discuss it in topic threads, so if you wish to cry about not being internet popular on an indie band message board, please limit such emo-ness to OT.

/mod post
Bob511i: But SARAH is my <3

No day but today.

Not Jason

mod post

though an unpopular view amongst my moderating peers, I support almost total posting anarchy.*

/mod post.

*unless it annoys me.
I am the baseball.

Samuel <3 OZMA

Seriously though guys, (I think this is on topic):  How many of you have been on the Back To The Future RIDE @ Universal Hollywood?  I wonder if Ozma will ever write a song about the ride??  I have a photo of me in front of the actual Delorean! --or so they claim.   It probably says that same shit in Florida. 

I'm assuming Ozma has been on that ride, so that's cool too.

I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!

noonchild

Quote from: Samuel <3 OZMA on June 13, 2006, 03:41:28 pm
Seriously though guys, (I think this is on topic):Ã,  How many of you have been on the Back To The Future RIDE @ Universal Hollywood?Ã,  I wonder if Ozma will ever write a song about the ride??Ã,  I have a photo of me in front of the actual Delorean! --or so they claim.Ã,  Ã, It probably says that same shit in Florida.Ã, 

I'm assuming Ozma has been on that ride, so that's cool too.

I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!

I've only ridden the ride once, some foriegn dude was sitting next to us filming everything with his video camera.  During the ride about every 10 seconds some guy would come over an intercom saying "please, no video or cameras" but they dude being foriegn didn't understand him.  It pretty much ruined the ride.

Bob511

The fact that you can see the other cars on the ride kind of ruins it, too.