April 29, 2024, 09:20:41 am

News:

If you can read this, Samuel is still a ph@gg0t

The Rentals/Ozma US Summer Tour

Started by Brady, June 06, 2006, 06:13:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady

Not sure if this has been posted yet...checked my email this morning and saw a Rentals Street Team email. 

7/21 Bakersfield, CA - The Dome
7/22 S. Fran, CA - Great American Music Hall
7/24 Seattle, WA - Neumos
7/25 Vancouver, Canada, BC - TBA
7/26 Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
7/28 SLC, UT - Club Sound
7/29 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theater
7/31 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
8/1 Chicago, IL - Double Door
8/2 Milwaukee, WI - TBA
8/4 NYC, NY - Irving Plaza
8/5 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
8/6 Norfolk, VA - The Norva
8/7 Atlanta, GA - TBA
8/10 Austin, TX - Gypsy Ballroom
8/11 Dallas, TX - Emo's
8/13 Phoenix, AZ - TBA
8/15 Anaheim, CA - House of Blues

See you in Milwaukee!  Woohoo!

iceh2o

o m g.... They are actually coming to Chicago...
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I cannot wait.. I"m not really familiar with much of The Rentals music but I"ll go just for Ozma!
I'm soo happy.

Brady

You should check out some Rentals stuff..."Return Of The Rentals" and "Seven More Minutes", the latter is their best imo. 

I said the same thing about Milwaukee, lol..

xellyjane

June 06, 2006, 08:10:49 am #3 Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:47:07 am by xellyjane
8/7 Atlanta, GA - TBA
i might very well do this if im not house sitting that weekend. but it will be my last weekend mobile so i think my friends might hate me if i ditch them for a concert.Ã, 
pretty much anyweekend after the 21st i couldve seen them in new york though, damn

edit: nevermind its on a monday i cant go at all :(

Not Jason

New York is the closest they're coming?  They can't even swing Boston?

Bullshit.

Also, could someone post a link?  Is it sure that these actually include Ozma?
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

kitten

June 06, 2006, 09:41:11 am #5 Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:53:03 am by Marm
the dallas and austin club names are switched.  just incase anyone from the area was planning on going, and perhaps wasn't familiar with the clubs.  dallas= gypsy tea room, austin= emo's

EDIT:

okay brady, your dates seem to be off.  this is taken directly from the rentals website:

07-24-06    Seattle, WA         Neumos    
07-25-06    Vancouver, BC          Richards    
07-26-06    Portland, OR         Roseland Theater    
07-28-06    Salt Lake City, UT    Club Sound    
07-29-06    Denver, CO         Bluebird Theater    
07-31-06    Minneapolis, MN       First Avenue    
08-01-06    Chicago, IL              Double Door    
08-02-06    Milwaukee, WI         TBA    
08-04-06    New York, NY            Irving Plaza    
08-05-06    Washington D.C.      9:30 Club    
08-06-06    Norfolk, VA         The Norva    
08-07-06    Atlanta, GA              TBA    
08-09-06    Dallas, TX               Gypsy Ballroom    
08-10-06    Austin, TX               Emo's    
08-13-06    Phoenix, AZ        TBA    
08-15-06    Anaheim, CA

icecreamman

Why the fuck won't they come to Michigan??

tom

Quote from: Not Jason on June 06, 2006, 08:56:58 am
New York is the closest they're coming?  They can't even swing Boston?

Bullshit.

Also, could someone post a link?  Is it sure that these actually include Ozma?
I feel the same way...no Philly? I mean come on..they're playing Norfolk, VA.
I guess I'll see some of y'all at Irving Plaza.

ps - this was posted by ozma on myspace, jason.

Not Jason

Quote from: Tom Is Dead on June 06, 2006, 01:31:09 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on June 06, 2006, 08:56:58 am
New York is the closest they're coming?Ã,  They can't even swing Boston?

Bullshit.

Also, could someone post a link?Ã,  Is it sure that these actually include Ozma?
I feel the same way...no Philly? I mean come on..they're playing Norfolk, VA.
I guess I'll see some of y'all at Irving Plaza.

ps - this was posted by ozma on myspace, jason.

I'm not actually sure I have Ozma friended.

Anyway, it was originally posted that it was from the Rentals' street team, so I wanted to make sure Ozma was actually in on these... you know, without going through the effort to check or anything.
I am the baseball.

Jeff42

Chicago is the closest to me at about a six hour drive.  Why can't they come to Ohio? :(  I'll probably try to go anyway.

geektheindierocker

I'm with ya on the no Philly show, guess I'll try for Irving plaza too. New York is always fun but man that place is expensive...just getting there from my part of NJ costs a lot of dough.

Not Jason

6 hours is doable, you should totally go.

as for prices of shows in general, i typically find that I spend about 3-5 times the cost of the ticket in general transportation costs for most shows (save for the ever so occaisional local show).  It's part of why I stay home a lot of the time.
I am the baseball.

k24

i will definitly be at the Atlanta show. these are two bands i thought i'd never see live [again], and to be honest -- i'm stoked.

i will be bringing my girlfriend, best friend, and hopefully talk my teacher into coming. he was a return of the rentals fan when it came out

Kyosho

Quote from: Jeff42 on June 06, 2006, 02:31:39 pm
Chicago is the closest to me at about a six hour drive.  Why can't they come to Ohio? :(  I'll probably try to go anyway.

There's simply no way I can go if they don't come to Ohio. Damnit.
I'll be rising high above the earth so soon, and the tears I cry might turn into the rain that gently falls upon your window. You'll never know.

weezma33

again---

michigan? :'(
why no michigan?
esp. in the summer when I could go...

Brady

Quote from: weezma33 on June 07, 2006, 07:03:15 am
again---

michigan? :'(
why no michigan?
esp. in the summer when I could go...

Take the ferry across the Lake and come to the Milwaukee show  :-\

tom

Quote from: geektheindierocker on June 06, 2006, 07:34:02 pm
I'm with ya on the no Philly show, guess I'll try for Irving plaza too. New York is always fun but man that place is expensive...just getting there from my part of NJ costs a lot of dough.
Yeah, I live in Glassboro, so we're talking an hour drive to Hamilton to the Train Station, then another hour and a half on the train to MSG. And the ticket cost is like 15.00 for the train, while the ticket for Irving Plaza is probably 12.

noonchild

Club sound blows.  The only thing that will save it will be ozma and jagermeister.
The light cast dark shadows all around me

Tri$tan

Quote from: Not Jason on June 06, 2006, 10:47:05 pm

as for prices of shows in general, i typically find that I spend about 3-5 times the cost of the ticket in general transportation costs for most shows (save for the ever so occaisional local show).  It's part of why I stay home a lot of the time.

fuckin' fuck fuck. I think jason is the only person who has it worse than me up here. instead of a 5 hour drive he has 12 easily.

i want to go ridiculously ridiculously badly

perhaps I can get mandy to come chill w/us or something.
Quote from: Golden Laser Sword on May 20, 2010, 05:36:25 am
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

tom

Quote from: Komrade Tristan on June 07, 2006, 04:24:02 pm
Quote from: Not Jason on June 06, 2006, 10:47:05 pm

fuckin' fuck fuck. I think jason and the other mike are the only persons who has it worse than me up here. instead of a 5 hour drive he has 12 easily.

i want to go ridiculously ridiculously badly

perhaps I can get mandy to come chill w/us or something.

Samuel <3 OZMA

June 07, 2006, 10:15:28 pm #20 Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:18:20 pm by Samuel <3 OZMA
OMG EXCITED!

Hi guys.Ã,  I'm back for now on the GOD because of the Ozma tour excitement.Ã,  FINALLY I'm going to get my second chance to see them live in DC.Ã,  I never thought this day would come.Ã,  Had you asked me one year ago if I thought Ozma would get back together, I would have said "no way."Ã,  I expected maybe a one-time reunion show someday, but not this.

I want to drive down to the NORVA for the next day's show, but that's about 4 hours away... not a big deal, but I'd have to leave right after the DC show because I hate driving into VA Beach anytime other than early morning hours.

To those of you who think you can't go:Ã,  JUST GO ANYWAY!!!!!Ã,  No matter what, GO!Ã,  Because you won't regret it, and you don't know when you may get another chance!!!Ã,  Forget about the money, and just do it!!!Ã,  If it wasn't for them getting back together, I would have regret for my entire life that I never saw them two summers ago in DC.Ã,  The only reason I didn't go was because I figured I could catch them another time.Ã,  I know a guy who lost his job because he went to three shows on the final GUK tour.Ã,  That sucks, but when you think about it, that was a once in a lifetime thing, and he just had to do it.Ã,  So you gotta do it!!Ã,  Go!Ã,  You all have jobs!Ã,  Just blow all your money no a train or bus or plane!!!

Anyway, I'm pumped!

edit:  And besides, I went 3000 miles to hear OZMA play the reunion shows.  When I was planning it, it seemed like an absolutely ridiculous thing to do, although thinking back on it all I'm really glad I did.  I think you'll be too!  GO GO GO!

Not Jason

That's all well and good, but where am I supposed to get this money TO blow?  I'm about 320 dollars in debt to my housemate right now and make around 120 bucks a week at my current rate.  If anything I need another job, not one less.

Though I am going to look into the possibility of seeing the New York show.  Ozma's presense is a motivator, but I'll be honest, THE RENTALS are the selling point here.
I am the baseball.

Samuel <3 OZMA

June 08, 2006, 02:00:44 am #22 Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:14:49 am by Samuel <3 OZMA
Quote from: Not Jason on June 08, 2006, 12:43:21 am
That's all well and good, but where am I supposed to get this money TO blow?Ã,  I'm about 320 dollars in debt to my housemate right now and make around 120 bucks a week at my current rate.Ã,  If anything I need another job, not one less.

Though I am going to look into the possibility of seeing the New York show.Ã,  Ozma's presense is a motivator, but I'll be honest, THE RENTALS are the selling point here.

Certainly, GETTING the money to blow is a problem for a lot of people.Ã,  Perhaps I'm somewhat spoiled because I DO have a credit card in case I ever want to buy something that I don't have the physical money for at the moment.Ã,  However, I've seen those things fuck up a few lives, so I'm not recommending it.Ã,  My standard response would be to say borrow a few bucks from a few friends, but if you're already in debt, it might not go over too well to ask for more.

Overall, my main point was directed to those who only feel like the can't/shouldn't go.Ã,  Like, don't just turn down a 10 hour drive because it's a 10 hour drive.Ã,  Don't avoid a $150 plane ticket just because it's $150.Ã,  I'm basically just talking about hesitating because it seems out of your league, or downright crazy.Ã,  You don't want to regret afterwards that you COULD HAVE done it.Ã,  I'm not talking about doing something stupid; use good judgement, but don't be scared away by ultimately-minor intricacies.Ã,  Make a sacrifice if you can afford it.Ã,  Like Miles said in Risky Business; "...Every now and then say, 'What the fuck.' 'What the fuck' gives you freedom..."

Okay, that's all for my motivational speech.Ã,  --I'm not saying it's the answer to everything, but had someone said that to me 2 years ago I wouldn't have missed that DC Ozma show.

Of course, if you can't physically afford it, and it's absolutely impossible to get the money or means to go, then there's nothing you can do.Ã,  But, if you feel like there is some hope, at least give it a try.Ã,  I mean, in my case I'd never seen them live (and I still don't really feel like I have) so, going to the show was a big deal for me.Ã,  If you've seen them ten times already, you'd probably feel slightly less "personally-obligated" to go to the show.

Anyway, I guess I should also be embarrassed to say that I'm not even familiar with The Rentals. :/Ã,  I'll have to make sure I am before the show...

Tri$tan

Oh I don't give a fuck about doing things. I went to NYC many times entirely on a whim. If the closest Ozma/Rentals came was Pittsburgh, i'd still go just for fun.

my obstacle is having physical money (and a job) to do it. everything else I don't even care, i'll find a box to sleep in outside the club if its that bad.
It is funny how you can get tired of something someone does, and the other person ends up being the sympathetic character. It feels like some shitty Apatow movie.

Cheese

Well, that sucks.  Closest is Chicago.  Six hours.  I was hoping for an Iowa City again.

Not Jason

I love how almost everyone in this thread so far is disappointed about the routing of this tour.  For once I'm not alone.

In addition to the money obstacle, I'm sort of scared shitless of NYC.  I'd almost rather just go to DC.  I've been to DC before, That's a city I know I can handle.  If I still had a sister living in Virginia, I would go to the DC show.  There isn't really anybody I know that would go with me other than my girlfriend possibly.  And while she would be good company for the trip, I am not sure she'd be a whole lot better than me at the "dealing with the intimidating and unfamiliar" factor that NYC presents.  We both have a tendency towards crippling anxiety over stupid shit, and her's is probably worse than mine.  It would be ideal if I had a friend in New York who would be willing to go or somebody that's either A. familiar with the city or B. not retarded, or C. possibly both.  Unfortunately, as of yet, I don't know of any such people.  I'm still considering it seriously though.  There are few times I feel more worthwhile than when I'm traveling.
I am the baseball.

kitten

Don't freak out.  NYC is not a big deal.  I spent a week there, unsupervised, when I was seventeen.  Nothing bad will happen. 

Tri$tan

June 09, 2006, 10:57:27 am #27 Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 12:18:45 pm by Komrade Tristan
Quote from: Not Jason on June 09, 2006, 02:40:21 am
I love how almost everyone in this thread so far is disappointed about the routing of this tour.  For once I'm not alone.

In addition to the money obstacle, I'm sort of scared shitless of NYC.  I'd almost rather just go to DC.  I've been to DC before, That's a city I know I can handle.  If I still had a sister living in Virginia, I would go to the DC show.  There isn't really anybody I know that would go with me other than my girlfriend possibly.  And while she would be good company for the trip, I am not sure she'd be a whole lot better than me at the "dealing with the intimidating and unfamiliar" factor that NYC presents.  We both have a tendency towards crippling anxiety over stupid shit, and her's is probably worse than mine.  It would be ideal if I had a friend in New York who would be willing to go or somebody that's either A. familiar with the city or B. not retarded, or C. possibly both.  Unfortunately, as of yet, I don't know of any such people.  I'm still considering it seriously though.  There are few times I feel more worthwhile than when I'm traveling.

I don't know if i'd qualify but NYC isn't that much scarier than Boston. I can't really promise any kind of housing, but if you'd like a bit of a tourguide I can see what I can do. Mandy/Jordan probably know better but if you could tolerate me I know NYC decently enough. NYC is just a harcore Boston, really with a better train system.

edit:although I can entirely understand if you don't want to travel with me. My only saving grace is i'm giong to have super medication (summer is when I try out new dosages for the school year)

Not Jason

I am the baseball.

joshbdork

all i see in this thread is pure shit. these bands are going on tour once again. lets be excited and not sad they arent playing in our backyards. if you are truely a huge fan you will make it to the shows. if you cant make it to the shows you will still see and hear bootlegs, so be excited as well.