May 17, 2024, 02:00:18 pm

News:

Sometimes it burns when I pee....

Rentals and IJTOTLOMD

Started by SickNick89, July 31, 2006, 12:43:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SickNick89

Have they beeen playing this at every show? I hope they do it in NYC.

yoshigaki

They played it at Denver, and it rocked pretty well.

supertux

I think that's part of their set at every show.  It's been on every setlist I've seen so far.

WhoYouCallinWeez

yes, they covered it in Dallas and it was Samuel to hear that song live, along with the Ozma "California" cover, sweet mercy!

k24

the rentals need to pull out all the stops now....no more second chances, it's hit or miss and they're aim is a little off.

Not Jason

Quote from: k24 on August 12, 2006, 10:10:58 am
the rentals need to pull out all the stops now....no more second chances, it's hit or miss and they're aim is a little off.

to the people on this tour who haven't enjoyed the rentals, I'd like to point something out having seen them twice on the tour.

In NYC, the crowd was awesome and enthusiastic so the band was too.  In DC, the crowd was a little bit more relaxed, and it seemed that the performance reflected that.  The musical performance both nights was absolutely stellar, but DC was a lot less fun than NYC, if only for all the little things it lacked, like Sara's ridiculous dancing and acting out lines as matt sang them, little bits of banter between Matt and the audience, etc.  That's the kind of stuff that really pushes a show past simply "good", and it wasn't there in DC, but I have to contend that it might have been had the crowd been as enthusiastic as they were in NYC.

Though, honestly, I thought they were great both nights.  Compared to the three Weezer shows I've seen, even the one I saw durring the period where I was still obsessed with Weezer, The Rentals destroyed them.  To me, it felt less like a performance and more like an experience.  I thought they were Samuel.  I might consider going to similar legnths again to see them if I have to, and at this point in my life, that's pretty rare.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

nick

man, i am so pissed that i wasn't able to make it to any of the shows.  as much as i miss ozma and can't wait to see them again, i've never seen the rentals and that would have been Samuel.  that's so cool you were able to make it to both shows, jason.  how'd you pull that off?

Not Jason

Quote from: nick on August 12, 2006, 12:27:11 pm
man, i am so pissed that i wasn't able to make it to any of the shows.Ã,  as much as i miss ozma and can't wait to see them again, i've never seen the rentals and that would have been Samuel.Ã,  that's so cool you were able to make it to both shows, jason.Ã,  how'd you pull that off?

I currently have 10 dollars to my name.
I am the baseball.

Cade

August 12, 2006, 10:11:06 pm #8 Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:15:04 pm by Cade
i was only familiar with about 5 of the rentals songs, but like was mentioned earlier (maybe in a different thread) it seemed - at least in austin - like they bunched together a lot of quiet songs.  couple that with the fact that it was about 12...

it was cool hanging out with jose and david by the merch table, and also riding back to dallas and playing road games with jose/samantha/samantha's awesome sister for 4 hours.  and of course seeing ozma live for the first time after being a fan for an insanely long time...is it a coincidence that i see them about two weeks after i move to the dallas area from fort smith?  doubtful.

Not Jason

Thing is, they might have bunched slow songs together, but for me, a song like "My Head Is in the Sun" or "She Says It's Alright" is a set highlight.  Therefor, I did not mind.  In fact, I was extremely excited for the former.  I didn't really think of myself as being much more than a casual fan, but I still figured that "My Head Is in the Sun" would be something that the majority of the crowd would get excited for.  I consider it one of their best songs.
I am the baseball.

Cade

and honestly i haven't listened to any of their music in years, but i do thoroughly (and did) enjoy the ones i did know.

i did not like cruiserweight (i think a somewhat popular austin band), but two things i remember about them and will probably never forget:  i want the guitarist' guitar (one of those super expensive les paul customs), and the singer was stacked to the heavens.