April 29, 2024, 09:03:54 am

News:

Maxwell T: @AmishJoe wait are you Jason

Remember bootleg of the month?

Started by CT-700, September 23, 2006, 09:18:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CT-700

Yeah well I don't, because by the time I joined you guys had stopped it. Anyone want to start it up again for people who have recently just joined? Or put boots in the respository?

Fantastic Max

I believe that was Jason, and I'd get tired of it too.

Or maybe it was Bob. I forget.
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

jvstin

"in the immortal words of Thomas G. Warrior: ughhhhh!!"

funwithsponges

There aren't really any new bootlegs out?  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like almost every Ozma bootleg in existence was recorded by Bob, so until Ozma comes back to the Bay Area, there won't be a whole lot of new boots.

Ozma should just do the Pearl Jam thing and record every one of their shows.  Except give them out for free instead of selling them.  Cuz Pearl Jam sucks.  And Ozma doesn't.

jvstin

bootleg of the month wasn't about new bootlegs.

funwithsponges

Quote from: ^_^ on September 23, 2006, 09:44:32 pm

Yeah it was and you know it.

But seriously, are most of the boots on the file repository?  I haven't been on there in a while so I don't know, but that seems like a logical place to put many of the existing boots.

jvstin

Quote from: funwithsponges on September 23, 2006, 10:19:13 pm
Quote from: ^_^ on September 23, 2006, 09:44:32 pm

Yeah it was and you know it.

But seriously, are most of the boots on the file repository?Ã,  I haven't been on there in a while so I don't know, but that seems like a logical place to put many of the existing boots.
no... only just a few songs scattered about.

we need to start this bitch up, yeah?

and by "we," i mean not jason and/or bob511...

Not Jason

I got lazy.  I took over for Amish originally because he was being slow at it, but then I pulled a "fuck this shit" after I think two months.  And it wasn't really about new bootlegs, because it was done durring a time when Ozma was broken up, if I recall.  At the very least, it was before new bootlegs started surfacing.  I'm a lazy, lazy man.
You and I were the extremities
I am the baseball.

butterfly

i wonder, is there an ozma FTP? cuz im dying to look for all the old bootleg that bob recorded. im sure they're darn good cuz so far, bob never let us down

amish

No FTP as that requires bandwidth and storage space that our server probably can't handle at this time. I am not going to run it on my personal machine anymore since I'm paying for electricity now and not my University. I've tried and tried again to get a DC++ server going, and it never takes off.

I'm open to ideas now.

simpleton

Quote from: amish on September 24, 2006, 05:28:03 am
I've tried and tried again to get a DC++ server going, and it never takes off.

:( for some weeks, it worked well. but then...

CT-700

Yeah even if we don't have any new boots, we should pass around some old ones. Ones from say, the "classic" period. I have three post reunion boots but I am sure most you have them either way.

WhoYouCallinWeez

what was the average quality of the boots? Soundboard at least? sorry, picky about the boots i DL. most of the ozma ones i've gotten were C+ at best

funwithsponges

Soundboard "at least"?  Isn't that about the ceiling for bootleg quality?

tom

Quote from: WhoYouCallinWeez on September 24, 2006, 02:36:49 pm
what was the average quality of the boots? Soundboard at least? sorry, picky about the boots i DL. most of the ozma ones i've gotten were C+ at best
You most certainly must be referring to the ones I recorded with my cell phone in my "pocket".

Fantastic Max

I have most of the shows on my computer, but am missing a few, that are known of.

Oh and is the file repository still hella jumbled up, and random file names and whatnot? Wasn't there like some trial version of a folder-based format?
"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a pizza in my mouth."
-Donkey Lips

WhoYouCallinWeez

September 24, 2006, 09:10:08 pm #16 Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:11:37 pm by WhoYouCallinWeez
no, soundboard is not the ceiling. Theres ear piece mixes to, and ear+audience mixes of shows ive heard.

CT-700

Quote from: Fantastic Max on September 24, 2006, 05:54:56 pm
Wasn't there like some trial version of a folder-based format?

http://www.ozmafans.com/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

I believe this is the thread.

Heres the link for the folders version:

http://antiuser.org/ozma.tmp

WhoYouCallinWeez

Not Jason

Quote from: WhoYouCallinWeez on September 24, 2006, 09:10:08 pm
no, soundboard is not the ceiling. Theres ear piece mixes to, and ear+audience mixes of shows ive heard.

um, i'm not sure you're right.  "quality" is kind of subjective, I know, but soundboard would give you the cleanest, purest signal of the band's performance, and assuming that the record level was good (no peaking, not too quiet) it would theoretically be the best recording you could get.  This assumes things like that all the amps and the drums are mic-ed, but at a show as big as Ozma shows tend to be, I'd assume that to be a given.  A recording from the audience captures the sound coming out of the PA, which is exactly what the soundboard would give you, except the quality is bottlenecked by the speakers and the room acoustics, which can drag a signal down pretty far.  This is of course not to mention the fact that your recording can very easily be dominated by out of key audience singalongs and obnoxious conversation about people we've never met.  There are advantages to recording with mics from the audience, like the fact that the desirable crowd noise (a little is desirable now and again, for a good feel) is easier to capture, and the fact that the open air sounds coming from the stage in addition to the PA can often times provide a better mix.  I do think though, that such an approach is far less consistant, and as such, I've heard much fewer high quality audience recorded bootlegs than I have heard high quality soundboard bootlegs.  An ideal solution, in my opinion, would be to record at least two tracks (one mic-ed in the audience, one from the board) and mix them appropriately in post.  If you offered me a choice between the two though, I'd probably plug my recorder into the board any day.

recording from the audience is hard, but Bob does a wonderful job of it with his set up.  In my opinion, his bootlegs are on par with almost any unofficial bootlegs I've heard.
I am the baseball.

butterfly

Quote from: Fantastic Max on September 24, 2006, 05:54:56 pm
I have most of the shows on my computer, but am missing a few, that are known of.

Oh and is the file repository still hella jumbled up, and random file names and whatnot? Wasn't there like some trial version of a folder-based format?

hey since you have all the existing bootlegs? whay not share em in the repository im sure everyone here in this board will be greatful. i still think, constant bootleg and file sharing in this forum is the reason why its still alive when the band broke up.

CT-700

I have Boots from 3/12/06, 5/5/06, and 7/7/06. I'll "try" to add them when I get home, hopefully they won't take to long. I am at school right now. And yes, I do feel like a rebel.

PS: Can't wait till we can get some older boots on there!

WhoYouCallinWeez

yea id be very interested in hearing a DDD era soundboard, or A+ audience recording

CT-700

Quote from: WhoYouCallinWeez on September 26, 2006, 06:21:59 am
yea id be very interested in hearing a DDD era soundboard, or A+ audience recording

Don't you have the DDD support show from the repository?

Bob511

Simply my speculation, but I'd guess that the band is of the size and influence such that, for most of the shows they play, they are successful enough to play fairly established (indie) venues, and yet not quite of the level that would allow them to easily exert a whole lot of influence over the operation of said venues, in the manner I imagine a larger indie band might.  If either were not so, I'd guess you'd see soundboard recordings more common, either from the informal nature of very small venues, or of greater implicit control provided larger bands.

WhoYouCallinWeez

Yes i have the DDD show, but i want another. and then another.

CT-700

Hopefully if this thread takes off you will get your wish  :).

Not Jason

Quote from: Bob511 on September 26, 2006, 02:27:27 pm
Simply my speculation, but I'd guess that the band is of the size and influence such that, for most of the shows they play, they are successful enough to play fairly established (indie) venues, and yet not quite of the level that would allow them to easily exert a whole lot of influence over the operation of said venues, in the manner I imagine a larger indie band might.Ã,  If either were not so, I'd guess you'd see soundboard recordings more common, either from the informal nature of very small venues, or of greater implicit control provided larger bands.

That would be my speculation as well.  Honestly though, I can't see complaining about the quality of your bootlegs.  They are well recorded for the most part.  I don't bother rating by letter.  Either it sounds good enough to listen to or it sounds like shit.  You tend to be towards the good end of that spectrum.
I am the baseball.

CT-700

Since its pretty slow in between studio updates, anyone have to heart to post an old bootleg? I have 3-4 post-reunion boots, but I am pretty sure everyone has them thus not making them an object of interest.

tom

i lost 14 of the 16 "old" bootlegs that I had when my craptop died. (fuck you HP).